Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

towing with a stcik

Old 12-25-2014, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
also depends what you tow... I don't want a stick on the boat ramp... launching and retrieving w/a stick, clutch, brake, etc. while working on the boat? no thanks.

I assume the stick has hill assist though as well?

Also, if you tow over the stated limit, regardless of vehicle "capacity", and are in an accident, you can bet it will factor into the legal and liability issues.

Your car, your ride, just note that it's an illegal setup, and you could be fined or worse.
I've never had an issue pulling a boat up a ramp with a stick. If it were an issue for you, just put it in 4 low and steer dead straight until you get over the crest. You just have to use proper technique. Another thing you can do is use the emergency brake, European style, and disengage it as you engage the clutch. Of course, you have to have an e-brake that is in good working order. Mine seems worn out, or at least out of adjustment.

Also, you guys are right, it is 3500lbs for the JKU. Not sure where I got 3000. Either way, it is low, but there is a reason for it, and I'm pretty sure I read that Jeep engineers said it had something to do with proper cooling and strength (or lack thereof) of the transmissions.

Last edited by dmwil; 12-25-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
I've never had an issue pulling a boat up a ramp with a stick. If it were an issue for you, just put it in 4 low and steer dead straight until you get over the crest. You just have to use proper technique. Another thing you can do is use the emergency brake, European style, and disengage it as you engage the clutch. Of course, you have to have an e-brake that is in good working order. Mine seems worn out, or at least out of adjustment. Also, you guys are right, it is 3500lbs for the JKU. Not sure where I got 3000. Either way, it is low, but there is a reason for it, and I'm pretty sure I read that Jeep engineers said it had something to do with proper cooling and strength (or lack thereof) of the transmissions.
B
Pre-2012 auto transmissions were prone to overheating and most people that tow, or drive on the beach upgrade theirs by adding a cooler. In 2012, the coolers are standard on the autos.
One person wrote on here and claimed to have knowledge that the tow rating was limited due to the need to maintain 45mph up some mountain pass in Colorado. I say that's nonsense considering some libertys are rated for 5000 pounds. Theirs absolutely no way they would be better at towing a heavy load up a mountain pass.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tow my Ski with stick. Trailer and ski about 1,000#
Turned hill assist off. It sucks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Ski 634.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	589304
Old 01-07-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Freak