Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

towing package include trans cooler?

Old 11-23-2016, 06:53 PM
dmz
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing package include trans cooler?

My 2011 jku came with 3.73 and 7 pin but nowhere on the sticker does it say towing package. What is included in towing package in an 11 and since it has 3.73 and 7 pin does it mean it does have the towing package?
Old 11-24-2016, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

My 2011 has the 7pin but no trans cooler other than the normal one below the radiator. I recommend you install an additional trans cooler anyway regardless of if you tow with the 2011.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

I was not aware of any JKU coming from the factory with a 7-pin. I ordered my 2012 with the MAX tow package. It comes with the 4 pin. I certainly could be wrong, but I assume any 7 pin is something that someone else added. Please correct me (with facts) if I am wrong. I personally added 7 pin to my 2012 so I could use a brake controller when I tow.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:52 PM
dmz
JK Newbie

I purchased it new and it came with the 7 pin. I had them throw in the hitch as final part of the deal and didn't ask for the 7 pin. I am wanting to tow a small travel trailer and do not want to give up the jeep for a truck. From what I've seen I need load leveling, anti sway, trans cooler and controller. I wasn't sure about whether it already had a cooler though.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dmz
I purchased it new and it came with the 7 pin. I had them throw in the hitch as final part of the deal and didn't ask for the 7 pin. I am wanting to tow a small travel trailer and do not want to give up the jeep for a truck. From what I've seen I need load leveling, anti sway, trans cooler and controller. I wasn't sure about whether it already had a cooler though.
so the 7-pin was dealer installed, not factory, right? What do you plan on towing? I've towed 5,000 pounds with my 2012 jku so perhaps I could offer some things I learned from my experiences.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All 2007-11 JK's came with the same transmission cooler and it is sorely insufficient for towing. There are lots of write ups on it. I added the B&M unit and it was fairly simple. Dropped my trans temps my 30 degrees F.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I was not aware of any JKU coming from the factory with a 7-pin. I ordered my 2012 with the MAX tow package. It comes with the 4 pin. I certainly could be wrong, but I assume any 7 pin is something that someone else added. Please correct me (with facts) if I am wrong. I personally added 7 pin to my 2012 so I could use a brake controller when I tow.
Yeah... I think you're supposition on the previous post is correct. Mine came from the lot with a town hitch and the 7-pin. While it looks like a factory install, I believe the dealer must be the culprit.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:02 AM
dmz
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
so the 7-pin was dealer installed, not factory, right? What do you plan on towing? I've towed 5,000 pounds with my 2012 jku so perhaps I could offer some things I learned from my experiences.
We are looking at the r-pods but might go smaller with one of the 14 or 15' travel trailers that are in the low 2000's dry weight, such as a starcraft, sportsman, or jayflight 14rb. Just the two of us and two little dogs and we want to go cross country and local with it.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dmz
We are looking at the r-pods but might go smaller with one of the 14 or 15' travel trailers that are in the low 2000's dry weight, such as a starcraft, sportsman, or jayflight 14rb. Just the two of us and two little dogs and we want to go cross country and local with it.
I would give the Rpods a serious looks. They are more aerodynamic than most trailers. That will help your MPG on those long trips. My toyhauler was shaped like a box. Highway MPG was only about 10. So, you need to stop for gas every 200 miles. I have a 2012, so your 2011 will actually get a little worse gas mileage. There were times when I chose to not take the trailer on log trips because the gas $$ I saved was enough to pay for a hotel.

Quick Reply: towing package include trans cooler?