Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Top off, seat belt flap

Old 03-20-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top off, seat belt flap

How do you keep the seat belts from flapping with the top off? Really gets on my nerves lol
Old 03-20-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are many, many threads on that subject. Just did a search myself looking for the solution I used but can't seem to find it. Many people go with velcro around the post to hold the upward run of the belt, I tried that and still got the flap. What I settled on is the most radical, as it CAN be a risk in a worst case scenario, which is popping off the plastic cover and running half of the belt length inside the plastic cover. The risk is that the belt does not run as loose and free on the recoil as one might like. I've never had a problem with it not locking up when it should, the only real problem I have is I need to assist it in retracting when I exit the vehicle, but I get absolutely no slap.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used shoulder pads from my daughters old car seat. Velcro closure perfect fit and free. Doesn't bind the retractor either
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-294155678.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	139878  
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just put a rolled up towel between the belt and the body of the jeep. works fairly well and I don't think it would impede normal operation of the belt
Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

I am beginning to think I'm the only person who likes the noise of the seat belts flapping, LOL.

Reminds me of putting baseball cards in the spokes of my bicycle tires as a kid... Except my Jeep sounds like a helicopter

Last edited by u-joint; 03-20-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
I am begging to think I'm the only person who likes the noise of the seat belts flapping, LOL.

Reminds me of putting baseball cards in the spokes of my bicycle tires as a kid... Except my Jeep sounds like a helicopter
Haha! my cousin rode with me the other day and said the same thing. He said it's like I put cards in the spokes to make it sound like I had a v8.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by currdog
I used shoulder pads from my daughters old car seat. Velcro closure perfect fit and free. Doesn't bind the retractor either
x2 cheap shoulder pads from walmart work like a charm. Put them on and forget about them
Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ABQ_Dave
There are many, many threads on that subject. Just did a search myself looking for the solution I used but can't seem to find it. Many people go with velcro around the post to hold the upward run of the belt, I tried that and still got the flap. What I settled on is the most radical, as it CAN be a risk in a worst case scenario, which is popping off the plastic cover and running half of the belt length inside the plastic cover. The risk is that the belt does not run as loose and free on the recoil as one might like. I've never had a problem with it not locking up when it should, the only real problem I have is I need to assist it in retracting when I exit the vehicle, but I get absolutely no slap.
I did this accidentally when I stripped the interior carpets and panels to clean out all the dirt and mud before the winter. When I put everything back, I ran the belts behind the plastic cover. Does not restrict it at all, except when retracting the belt when you take it off. You have to hold it up so it spools all the way in otherwise the belt will flap outside the door.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BIG_Steve
x2 cheap shoulder pads from walmart work like a charm. Put them on and forget about them

X3. I put them on and leave them on, no more flap.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin
I did this accidentally when I stripped the interior carpets and panels to clean out all the dirt and mud before the winter. When I put everything back, I ran the belts behind the plastic cover. Does not restrict it at all, except when retracting the belt when you take it off. You have to hold it up so it spools all the way in otherwise the belt will flap outside the door.
Which, after a few years, is what one would have to do anyway. For some reason Chrysler can't seem to make retractors that work worth a damn. My TJ and now my JK has retractors that refuse to work well... might as well get the benefit of the lack of flapping.

Quick Reply: Top off, seat belt flap