Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Took a vid of my water pump noise....

Old 02-11-2014, 12:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pump got put on Yesterday and so far no noise on the way home, it had started groaning slightly when taking off from stop lights so hopefully it is fixed!

Sent while plotting to take over the world!

scratch that...started it up this morning and it made the noise for 10secs or so....so back to the drawing board. But i'll probably just have to live with it, well for at least another year then im going back to ford products.

Last edited by ThwopKing; 02-11-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had this same problem. Took the dealer a long time to fix. Had to replace the idler pulley, belt and water pump but the noise is gone now.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Same problem. Dealer has replaced the alternator, idler pulley, tensioner, I think it's the water pump but the dealer says that the new alternator is also bad so it will go back in tomorrow for the third alternator. We will see.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

To me I'd think it was an idler pulley starting to fail. My excursion did the same kind of squeal and then as the pulley failed more it became more and more frequent and longer lasting.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah they thought it was the alt....i thought maybe a idler or tensioner but then since the water pumps are a known problem it could be another bad one. I've seen it several times with Chrysler products. .. but yet i sTill bought one lol

Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

I did have my W/P replaced after it started whining but it never sounded close to that. Since being replaced it has been groaning when starting from a dead stop. Ill have the dealer check it out one day or another.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 PM
JK Newbie

Sooo I took my 2013 JK in for the third alternator and asked them kindly "please don't call until the noise us gone", this was my fifth visit. When they didn't call at lunch (knowing how long it takes to replace an alternator by now) I realized that the new alternator was not the fix. I got a call around three saying that the noise has been fixed. I asked if they wound up replacing the water pump and they said yes. I asked them if I should remind they that I suggested it was the water pump 4months ago? They said no need. I thanked them for having a water pump in stock. She sounds normal again. All is well.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

13 JKU purchased March 2013. Has 8K mileage and the chirping noise just started. Took into dealership this morning.

Received call at noon that the noise has been fixed. Water pump was replaced (under warranty).
Dealer was very good about it. Water pump was in stock, no fuss no muss.
I asked the "service advisor" about the water pump problems and he indicated that here have been some problems that have been found.

Engine sounds great!!!
Old 05-17-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well they never were able to fix mine. .. so after talking with an engineer they decided it was a problem they hadn't had a fix for it. Service advisor called the other day and said they may think it's a tensioner problem but aren't sure yet. Whatever typical Chrysler problem. .... it doesn't make the noise unless it's under 35 degrees. If i still have it this I'll address it then because it's way out of warranty anyway.

Quick Reply: Took a vid of my water pump noise....