Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Which Tire's are best performers?

Old 04-03-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Tire's are best performers?

Which brand and type tires will fit my 2008 4door JK with no lift and stock 17" rims? I am Looking for good to excellent ratings from rain to rocks. ex..rain/excellent,pavement/good,snow/excellent,mud/excellent,rocks/good thanx
Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TOYO
BFG
NITTO

in that order
Old 04-03-2009, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

The Tire Rack site contains dozens of reviews for pretty much every tire out there. I'd recommend you read through the reviews of various tires you're considering to get a sense of what people do/don't like about them.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

get the one the manufacturer and hundreds of thousands of other Jeepers use...

the BFG MT's. They come oem on the Rubi, they totally kick azz and they are only $99 at tirerack.com

seriously, if you are not lifted, don't plan any real hard core off roading trips, prolly not a good idea to spend $300 per tire for something that'll wear out in 20-30k miles. With that money, buy a great lift or other doo-dads for your rig.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

toyo would be my best choice..... but I agree with the post above.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you looking for all-terrain or mud terrain tires?

Tire Rack has a great on-road rating system for almost all the popular at and mt tires.

I can tell you, I have experienced a tiny amount of sliding when stopping abruptly in the rain with the Procomp MT's. I'm not sure if that's just what you get with mt's or if another tire would be better. Other than that, the Procomps have been good on the road. They were not my initial choice of tire. I did want Firestone Destination MT's, but the load rating was too harsh, so...

Last edited by C_Kyle; 04-03-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Freak

i like my procomps AT , not the best in mud, but they are very capable for the price
in the past i got some BFG AT KO, and the procomp are superior on many points

+ they got the severe snow rating , and i swear that those tire are outstanding in deep snow (i live in Quebec so the winter here are pretty cold )
Old 04-03-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott
I jsut bought the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's to give them a go-around...I'll post my findings!
Post some pics. That's an interesting looking tire.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RescueGreen#3
get the one the manufacturer and hundreds of thousands of other Jeepers use...

the BFG MT's. They come oem on the Rubi, they totally kick azz and they are only $99 at tirerack.com

seriously, if you are not lifted, don't plan any real hard core off roading trips, prolly not a good idea to spend $300 per tire for something that'll wear out in 20-30k miles. With that money, buy a great lift or other doo-dads for your rig.
the stock rubi tires are amazing! i love them.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

If you want good rain traction, make sure the tire has sipes. Its a night and day difference between a tire that does, and a tire that doesnt. BFG MT's do not have any sipes. If you get them, sipe them. The Cooper STT and the ProComp Extreme MT both are siped. The toyo has some sipes too, but it cost nearly twice as much as the others.

Quick Reply: Which Tire's are best performers?