Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tire/wheel questions from a cheapskate

Old 03-07-2008, 02:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
i still think you gotta go 285's at least. 265's look too small
Yeah I put 265s on my stock X wheels and it looked good for about a month, then I noticed that they are still small.

The 265 75 16s are supposed to be 32", but if you park next to a Sahara you will see the size difference.

Go with the 285s or upgrade to Rubicon wheels and tires.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jamesmichaelrice.com
hello, just following up on my original inquiry...

I still may go with just the upgraded tires on the original 16" steelies, or if I can, I might pickup some used 17" alloys and then upgrade the tires.

I admit that I do not know squat about gear ratios, etc. I did not even give this a thought when I purchased my stock X. I was just looking over the window sticker, and I noticed that it mentions Customer Preferred Package C.
I obviously knew I was getting an automatic, but it also mentions a 4.10 axle ratio, whereas under Standard Equipment it lists a 3.21 axle ratio.

I guess my question is this: are you guys running the 265/75/16s, 285/75/16, and upgraded 17s on automatics with the 4.10 gear ratio, and is there any chance that tires and wheels of this size will cause mechanical issues.
I upgraded my '07 X (w/ C-pkg, auto and 4.10) to the 265x75x16 BFG AT's after ~1k miles and was quite happy with that. The mpg went down from ~17.5 to ~16.5... not that big of a deal... but if you drive hills like I do, overdrive really sucks.
For similiar money(~$800) you should be able to find some Rubi take-offs. Or even less money, some Sahara take-offs.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkkat
I would go with the TeraFlex 2.5BB http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...d=TF-001355210 just over 200.00 bucks is a great price too!!!! Took me 5 hours start to stop in the drive way to install this kit.

Kat
Did you keep the stock tires? I just hate to buy new tires when I only have 16,000 on the current ones.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:49 AM
JK Freak

I went with the 265/75 16's (Medalist Mud King XT's made by BFGoodrich for Medalist/Cavalier company) on the stock steel X rims. Semi aggressive tread and very comparable to the BFG MT's but cost less. They work great in the mud and snow but suck A*S on ice. Big lugs and 19/32's tread depth and 6 ply side wall. I believe they have an 8 ply or 10 ply available but the price goes up accordingly. For my driving needs and off roading style, these are just fine. Road noise is very minimal and I think the 32" tires look great for a quick and almost inexpensive upgrade.

1st reason was money.
2nd reason was the 225's on it were.... well everyone knows.
3rd reason was safety. With the stock 7" wide rim and 6.25" backspacing I looked at each tire rating and 265 was the safest one to run without worry or rubbing issues. 285's and above were rated for slightly wider rims which I couldn't afford at the time.

Now, that being said, I find them fine for height at 32" stock but still a bit narrow and would still like to get wider and bigger ones but that will be when these are dead and gone and I'll have saved up for a BB and wider rims with less back spacing.

Just my 2 cents worth.

You made any decisions yet? Pics?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:09 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the great advice. No decision yet... I will not be ready to pull the trigger until my tax refund comes in the mail. Unfortunately, it will be less than I had anticipated

I am leaning toward the BF Goodrich T/A KO at 265/75/16s for many of the reasons that were already stated, such as safety, rubbing concerns, and wanting to keep myself from having to worry about spacers, a lift, etc..

I wish I could see a side by side comparison to the stock 225s on there now, just to see how much of a difference there will really be. Not sure if I can afford them at this moment, but I had considered upgrading to the Sahara 17" alloys and getting upgraded tires to fit them. For about double the cost of just the new tires (not to mention, that will leave me with five perfectly good stock wheels and tires just lying around taking up space) I am not sure that it is worth it to me at this time.

As far as offroading, I do not do any serious offroading, just bombing around a lot of dirt roads for camping/fishing purposes during the spring, summer, and fall. Most of my driving is highway driving...
Old 03-08-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Well I think the stock 225's were around 29" tall.... the 265/75's run around 32" so there is an obvious and appreciable difference... you'll love it.

I've got a couple pics in the my project JK section in bright silver 2 doors that may help to see what the 265/75 - 16' look like.

I dunno.... just trying to help. Good luck with the decision.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had several tire swaps so far ... Stock 245/75/16 Goodyears with 16" Alloys to the 255/70/18 Saharas to now the 265/76/16s BFG Radial Long Trail T/A.

Love the appearance ... however I've had some issues keeping the tires balanced. (Balanced 4x now in 3 weeks) The tire shop where I bought the tires is pretty baffled, but they said if this doesn't work they'll pursue a warranty claim with BFG and I should be able to swap into a different set of tires.

So far they seem to be ok ... Won't know until I hit the highway again. They are nice, quiet tires but I still get a slight vibration around 65-75. They are good in the rain, ok in snow slush. If they let me swap them out I'm probably going to go for the BFG All-Terrain K/O in 265/75/16. Seem to have a little more aggressive tread. A little higher on the road noise but I can live with that as long as there's no vibration on the highway. That annoys the hell out of me on long trips.

I would personally go with 265s. Others will say 285 ... I just worry about rubbing ... And not sure what the recommended width is for the 16" Alloy rims that I have. I knew that the 265s would be probably the safest bet since I don't plan on lifting it (anytime soon, at least).

Quick Reply: Tire/wheel questions from a cheapskate