Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tire swing out question

Old 09-07-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire swing out question

Ok, very new owner - and my 1st jeep. I see why y'all are so passionate about these things, I love mine.

I read almost every thread I can trying to learn as much as possible - great info!

New guy question..... In all the sites that I shop for mods I see bumpers with swing out tire holders. The jeep already swings out the tire with the tailgate - what is the value in having a separate holder other than the factory gate attachment?

Thanks,
Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carry a larger wheel and heavier tire without fear of damaging the OEM mount and tailgate.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah like he said. Even the stock 32" tires can damage the hinges of the tailgate if your rig bounces much. My 2dr sahara (stock till spring ) has stress marks around the hinges that caused me to remove the tire. I'm a little harsher than a daily mall crawler and like driving over stuff just because I can. I am sure if you stick to the pavement you will be fine unless you upgrade to a 35" tire.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

When you get more weight than the tailgate was designed to carry like a 35 inch tire and up, you want a tire carrier. Also some can hold a highlift jack, a small cargo rack and jerry can mounts (gas cans) and most have a cb antenna mount. I love mine it has options for all and will save that tailgate plastic tire mount from giving it up and free's up space in jeep.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Carry a larger wheel and heavier tire without fear of damaging the OEM mount and tailgate.
Got it. I run stock so would not realize that yet. You know what they say...,no stupid
questions, only stupid people who ask questions.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lol not a big deal you have to learn about you vehicle... Er obsession from somewhere!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Csharron
Ok, very new owner - and my 1st jeep. I see why y'all are so passionate about these things, I love mine.

I read almost every thread I can trying to learn as much as possible - great info!

New guy question..... In all the sites that I shop for mods I see bumpers with swing out tire holders. The jeep already swings out the tire with the tailgate - what is the value in having a separate holder other than the factory gate attachment?

Thanks,
Please post pics of ur jeep. I love seeing the first jeep that a person ever owns cause that jeep alone is what creates ur new love.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigT
When you get more weight than the tailgate was designed to carry like a 35 inch tire and up, you want a tire carrier. Also some can hold a highlift jack, a small cargo rack and jerry can mounts (gas cans) and most have a cb antenna mount. I love mine it has options for all and will save that tailgate plastic tire mount from giving it up and free's up space in jeep.
Interestingly enough I believe even the stock wheel & tire r over the limit. I am not 100% sure but I thought I heard that somewhere. Again I think.....
Old 09-08-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Once you take that weight of the tire and rim off the body the jeep will feel 100% better too.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I moved my spare to an OR-FAB carrier. Not only will it carry the spare tire, I can also mount (2) fuel/water cans, Hi-Lift jack & antenna/flag. But the best thing is the carrier makes absolutely no noise and doesn't sag. Great product!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	208693

Quick Reply: Tire swing out question