Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tire size questions

Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Uwe
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire size questions

Hello,
a bit sad to say but i fail to understand what it is about tire sizes. I looked here and there, i even asked a tire dealer (who refused to talk about bigger tires etc.) but i can't find out which tire size i have to order.

What i want is something like the next larger tire size from the stock 17" rims/tires. They are now 255-75/17 and i want to have them in something like 1 inch more diameter and perhaps 1/2 inch wider on the stock rims

I checked with this table here:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92607_10XX_PG.htm

but then i get confused about how far i can go regarding the rims and the Jeep and it like grows a bit out of proportions because i do not want any modifications like wheel spacers or lift kits.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try 285/70R17....This configuration is very close to 33x11.2R17 tire

Stock tires on your rig 255/75R17 are approx. 32x10.0R17

I think from what I have seen on a few threads the 285's will have no rubbing issues with stock rims...so no spacers required.

If you go with any wider tire over 11.5 inches wide you will have to look at getting spacers to pull your wheel out to avoid rubbing when you are turning your steering wheel lock to lock.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

If you want to see what different tires and wheels do as far as moving in and out of the wheel well etc. here is a nifty (best in my opinion) calculator on the net. It will tell you what you can expect when you change. I used it to go to a 16" wheel with a lot less offset than stock and 33" tires.
h ttp://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp
Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 AM
JK Junkie

When you want to see what it takes to perform a modification always start with the Modifications FAQ:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/

It has a lot of very useful information.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

The 255 is the tire width in millimeters.

The 75 means that the sidewall height is 75 percent of 255mm.

17" is the internal diameter.

To get the full height measurement, add two sidewall heights and the diameter.

And since your location is Switzerland, you're probably better than me at converting millimeters to inches!

There's a ton of info on the forum regarding tire sizes, lots of pics too. The FAQ section linked earlier covers size requirements pretty well. Happy trails!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all good answers!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Uwe
JK Newbie

@ TripleJeep_99, Fathom, spinlock, ClaytonT

Hello and thank you all for helping me out! It is not that i haven't read anything about tires... suddenly it just got confusing what the right thing would be with all the tire and rim specifications.

I gues i'l go with the 285,70/17 especially here in Switzerland where regulations do not permit changes without getting a certificate or stamp.

Oh yes i admit there is a bit of envy when i look at all this pictures here in the forum of modified Jeeps with gigantic tires, rims, bumpers and and and...

Greetings, Uwe
Old 11-18-2009, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Uwe
@ TripleJeep_99, Fathom, spinlock, ClaytonT

Hello and thank you all for helping me out! It is not that i haven't read anything about tires... suddenly it just got confusing what the right thing would be with all the tire and rim specifications.

I gues i'l go with the 285,70/17 especially here in Switzerland where regulations do not permit changes without getting a certificate or stamp.

Oh yes i admit there is a bit of envy when i look at all this pictures here in the forum of modified Jeeps with gigantic tires, rims, bumpers and and and...

Greetings, Uwe
why would you need certificate or stamp for change to bigger tire - emissions ? and i did think that communism was here not there...
Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by atuldo
why would you need certificate or stamp for change to bigger tire - emissions ? and i did think that communism was here not there...
From what I have heard from family members in Denmark and Sweden....Europe is really anal about staying close to stock specs for safety reasons.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Uwe
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by atuldo
Ah no, nothing to do with political philosophy...

The answer they usually give is, that the vehicle has permission to be on the road just the way it looks and feels and anything that's been changed needs a new permission. In real live you can do a lot of things until you get into a police check or to the regular motor check.

With my old YJ i once asked if i can active the standard turn signals which are inside the front grille (as opposed to the european version which has them on the front of the fenders). They came with a tape measure and told me that the lights are about 1.5" to far on the inside....

...and so it goes on and on. Security, noise and emissions are in a way more important than the mechanical aspects or so it seems. The worst thing is, questions about changes are usually not answered in detail unless you go to a garage, buy all the parts and work hours and see what happens.

In one Jeep garage in Zurich the work hour is about 140US$ and this is way to much for trial and errors.

Quick Reply: Tire size questions