Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

tire rotation vibe

Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire rotation vibe

well I did a serch and lots of thing poped up but not what I'm incountering. I did a 5 tire cross tire rotation and now my jeep shakes like it has a bad tire. I had it narrowed down to the tire that i took from the left rear to the left front, vibration went away. then 5 km down the road it started up again, now am thinking its gonna be the left rear cause it is the one that went from the front right to the back left, so its running backwards. But then the next day there was no virbration. Then I thought it was the road surface but one day vibraates the next it does not. I'm commimg up to my next tire rotation so Im not sure what to do. Just do a front to rear rotation with out the spare? or continue doing the 5 tire. there is no mud or anything that would cause the balance prob that I can see. I had 1 tire rebalance ( the one i thought was bad) it helped a bit but not much. The jeep is on factory rubicon wheels and tire. It has a leveling kit installed (1.75) and it showed up after that. It also has a warn bumper and winch. I've owned it from new so no abuse. Also it come when I get closer to 80 kph (50 mph) but not always and goes away usually around 90kph (55mph). THat points to a balance problem but. Could this be a air flow type problem vibrating something else and Im feeling it in the wheels or what. Any suggestion guys. I 've checked the leveling kit installition, no probs that i can see, checked tire lug nuts, still tight, tire pressure still seem to be good but it the are out could it cause this? what do you guys run your tires at ? (stock) sorry for the long post here.
and Thanks in advance
Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

I believe mkjeep had a similar problem with his TJ, and would up replacing his tires to solve the problem. You might want to try dropping him a pm. I think sometimes you just get some bad tires and its hard to tell which one(s) is defective to solve the problem. If your tires came on your jeep, I'd call the dealer and see if they will do anything about it.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your wall of text is a little hard to follow, but did you say that the vibration showed up right after you installed the leveling kit and tire rotation? Or just the tire rotation?

It is unlikely that is an airflow problem. Supension/steering/wheel problems frequently occur at a certain speed because of resonance of the vibrations of some components.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

I've got to side with you on balance problems. They usually show up at higher speeds. A bad tire shows vibrations at lower speeds in my experience.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

I had same issue...Turns out I had a bad tire .The vibration showed up at 50-60 MPH....
replacing 2 tires fixed it.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a vibraton now as well .. when i am on the hyway I get a vibration which feels like I am going over rumbble strips then disappears for awhile but then reeturns .. sock here and have had my gear axel fluid changed approx 3000k ago it seems to vibrate more when i am in 4w but still vibrates in 2 w .. any suggestions?
Old 11-19-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default old time tire check

guys squat down facing the wheel and tire. Now take the palm of each hand held down where the tire contacts the road and slowly run the palms of you hands around the tire tread until they touch at the top of the tire. Then roll the JK forward about a foot and check the area of the tire that was down on the road. A belt seperation or a knot on the tire will be felt thru your hands as a gross out-of-round condition....

Quick Reply: tire rotation vibe