Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tire Question

Old 04-21-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Question

I'm sure this has been addressed, but the search funtion yielded a ton of posts to sort through.

I have the stock 255/75R17's on my JK. What are my replacement size options without having to add a lift or spacers.

I'd consider spacers, but would like to not have to spend the cash. It's my daily driver and do "easy" trails for now.

Just looking for a tire of the same size or a little larger with a more agressive tread and do not want to go to a smaller tire/rim pkg.

thanks in advance!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search button is your friend!! Actually those tons of post would have alot of good info for you, I do suggest reading them. That being said the short answer to your question is 285/70 is the largest you can go without issues on a stock JK. There are those that say you can go larger, but that is the largest size communaly agreed on to be rub free.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Browse the Wheels & Tires section in the FAQ

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/

and see if that helps. It has the basics of tire sizes that will fit for various lift heights, and also gives info on backspacing and wheel spacers. Real good place to start, then come back with any questions you still have.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

I posted domething about this a week ago. I will try to find thread and post it.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=teamblades13

Check here.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I sold my stock tires as soon as I took delivery on my JK "X" with 17" wheels, and put on a set of Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A's. I little noise on freeways, but olther than that they have worked great

Quick Reply: Tire Question