Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is a tire plug a permanent fix?

Old 08-27-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in total agreement on never plug a sidewall... especially after seeing a few torn open on the trail. They are frail for sure... much more so than I assumed before my experience on the trail. I cannot imagine you could even get a plug to hold for more than a few miles anyway.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by james90755
I found myself fixing my first flat yesterday in the woods.... and regretfully it was caused by a stainless screw... boring story I know. But it got me thinking about plugs.

Are tire plugs a permanent fix, assuming one uses high quality stuff like ARB?

Their manual says use only to get to a repair shop...
I have used plugs from Walmart for years. Just fixed another one in my truck last night. I have never had one go flat. (knock on wood)
Old 08-27-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rlabbott
I keep hearing from those who know... that there are good plugs and not good plugs.
Can someone point me to a site where I can see the 'good' plugs and purchase them? Or tell me the name and the seller?

I see some that look like twisted pink rubber. I see some that look like black rubber with a metal spike on the end.

Which one do I buy without making a science project out of it
Someone else mentioned it already, but vulcanizing plugs are the way to go, they eventually become part of the tire. The heat caused from driving on it causes it to melt/react to the point that it actually becomes a part of the tire. I keep a few plugs and the tools and cement stuff all in the JKs cubby hole in the back, kept it in the TJ when i had it too, and i've plugged a number of tires with no issue. Best part is, i usually don't even have to take the tire off to plug it, AND, as long as you notice its low before it goes flat, you can plug it and drive it to the local air hose if you dont' have air on board the jeep.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I drove a car with a couple plugs in it. I probably put 20k miles on that tire. It held up pretty good with no issues.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrote the Tire Repair procedures for a large truck fleet that had over a millon tires on the ground every day of the week.

First off, the plugs will usually work OK if installed correctly. What we found with steal radial tires, it is better to use a two piece stem and patch repair to really seal the water away from the steel cords. We were retreading our truck tires and found the two piece stem and patch to be our best repair. If you use the correct rubber plugs and the correct glue, then the plug does work well on passenger vehicle type of repairs. It is the glue and the coating on the plug that vulcanize and it does not depend on the tire warming up to vulcanize the plug to the tire.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

not to hijack, but more of a learning thing...
i used that fix a flat crap on an old motorcycle tire (with tube) because where i rode was tons of thorns...

but my question is... doesnt this stuff totally screw up a tubeless tire?
would it not coat the rim and fill the valve stem with the sealant?
seams like you would literally have to break the bead from the rim...

anyone have an input on this...?

(for our younger viewers...)

Quick Reply: Is a tire plug a permanent fix?