Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tire almost fell off....

Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murdoc13
The dealership just called and they said they aren't covering it because they never took the tires off. They are saying the ebrake handle is what broke and was replaced, through the consol and without taking the tires off so I'm on the hook for the work they need to do.

I guess I'll be checking the lugs periodically to see if they are loosening up and after any service done to make sure they are on tight.

The only other possibility is if someone tried to steal them I guess....oh well.
Ask them how they adjusted the E-BRAKE line??? They did not bother adjusting it after they replaced the E-brake handle??? If they say they adjusted it the E-Brake then you know they took the rear tires off as you will have to remove the tires to get the caliper off to gain access to adjust the e-brake.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phantomandy
Yep - sounds simple enough. As other posters have said the lugs won't suddenly come loose.

You have one of the following:
  1. Someone is trying to kill you, they loosened the lug nuts a bit hoping you'd die in a fiery blaze on your way to the donut shop
  2. Thief got spooked or just a vandal, jealous hater, environmental nut job, or prankster.
  3. Most likely - the guys at the shop screwed up. I bet the mechanic was loosening the lug nuts to remove the wheels and another tech or the shop manager interrupted him and pointed him to the correct solution. Mechanic forgot to re-torque the lug nuts because he got busy texting his girl after finishing the repair.

I'm betting on #3 (or at least some semblance of that story).
That is crazy, I am going to check my lugs now after taking it in for service. I agree #3 is most likely.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Ask them how they adjusted the E-BRAKE line??? They did not bother adjusting it after they replaced the E-brake handle??? If they say they adjusted it the E-Brake then you know they took the rear tires off as you will have to remove the tires to get the caliper off to gain access to adjust the e-brake.
You need a new shop!! Mistakes happen, its what you do with them that matters!!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that. My suggetion to you is to call the Better Business Bureau.

http://www.bbb.org/canada/
Old 03-23-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by utahcrawler
You need a new shop!! Mistakes happen, its what you do with them that matters!!
Exactly, if this dealership is going to wash their hands over this issue (which could have ended worse with someone killed)....then it's time to find a new dealership that has some dilegence & better quality as well better customer service.

Quick Reply: Tire almost fell off....