Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tire almost fell off....

Old 03-22-2011, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire almost fell off....

So yesterday I was driving down the highway and the rear of the jeep started vibrating. I pulled into a parking lot to check it out and all of the lugs on the back tires were loose. The locking lug on the drivers side had sheered the stud off and the other four lugs were almost to the end of the studs. Could have been bad news.

I had the jeep in for service last week and called and they said they didn't have those tires off. Previous to that they hadn't been off for at least 5 months, since the last rotation. I'm bringing it in tomorrow to see if they can find anything that might be vibrating and causing the lugs to loosen up. The front lugs were still tight.

On a side note, my tranny has been a lot louder the last couple of weeks and shifting poorly. I wonder if something is vibrating and causing both these issues? Anyone else had anything like this happen?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good thing you pulled off before the tire decided to come off.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

Wheels don't just come loose after 5 months of driving. If they are torqued down properly, no amount of driveline vibration will cause lug nuts to come loose (if your driveline is vibrating bad enough to loosen your wheels, it'll knock your teeth off first). Look at the invoice and see if they rotated your tires or check the brakes. If they did either of those things, there's your answer. It's also possible that someone tried to steal your wheels/tires and got spooked. Unfortunately, having the vehicle in the shop just last week points to the shop you took it to as the culprit.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

I know how that goes... same thing happened a few years back in my bronco... though 3 of 5 lugs were sheared off, and two lug nuts holding on rear tire isn't optimal.

Turns out the shop I had it in for brake work over torqued them... now I always check after it goes to the shop.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by thrshr01
Wheels don't just come loose after 5 months of driving. If they are torqued down properly, no amount of driveline vibration will cause lug nuts to come loose (if your driveline is vibrating bad enough to loosen your wheels, it'll knock your teeth off first). Look at the invoice and see if they rotated your tires or check the brakes. If they did either of those things, there's your answer. It's also possible that someone tried to steal your wheels/tires and got spooked. Unfortunately, having the vehicle in the shop just last week points to the shop you took it to as the culprit.
This is what I thought and why I suspected the shop. The reason it was in the shop was because the ebrake snapped. They said they changed it out through the center consol though (new handle) and didn't take the tires off.

I guess someone could have tried to take the tires but I haven't parked in any bad areas, espcecially at night and I'm not sure why they wouldn't have tried to take the spare first, or the tire that didn't have a lock lug on it...hopefully the dealership can figure out what happened.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

They pulled the tires and didn't tighten the lugs, thats my view of this problem
Old 03-22-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep - sounds simple enough. As other posters have said the lugs won't suddenly come loose.

You have one of the following:
  1. Someone is trying to kill you, they loosened the lug nuts a bit hoping you'd die in a fiery blaze on your way to the donut shop
  2. Thief got spooked or just a vandal, jealous hater, environmental nut job, or prankster.
  3. Most likely - the guys at the shop screwed up. I bet the mechanic was loosening the lug nuts to remove the wheels and another tech or the shop manager interrupted him and pointed him to the correct solution. Mechanic forgot to re-torque the lug nuts because he got busy texting his girl after finishing the repair.

I'm betting on #3 (or at least some semblance of that story).
Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murdoc13
This is what I thought and why I suspected the shop. The reason it was in the shop was because the ebrake snapped. They said they changed it out through the center consol though (new handle) and didn't take the tires off.
I call BS on the service manager that they did not take the tires off. My question is how did they adjust the E-brake handle??? I am sure the techs to make it easier to adjust the e-brake would have taken both rear tires off and caliper's to get at the adjustment hole for the E-brake. I am sorry but the service manager is trying to cover his ass.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

goddaumm subs
Old 03-22-2011, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erol1991
goddaumm subs
Lmao they must slam pretty hard to do that

Quick Reply: Tire almost fell off....