Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tint Percentage

Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, mine is 30% and I think it looks good. Not too dark at night where I have to roll down my windows so I don't run over pedestrians!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 PM
JK Freak

my first JK had 15% in front and matched spot on.. this one is my second JK.. i didnt think 15% was dark enough.. so i had it tinted 5% all the way around.. 5% in the front and 15% on top of the already tinted back windows gave it a very smooth look..
Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by camaroguy
Most states have laws against the front windows being too dark. I know in NM, you will get a citation for anything darker than 20%. I think CA is like 35% for any window (not sure though).
Same here in Texas as it is California I believe, got pulled over in my Camaro by state trooper 3 days after I got it tinted, the first day I could roll my window down. I told the cop I had just gotten it done, it was 35% and could get the recipt, he didn't believe me and had to test it

I guess it's just irritating to get pulled over after I had just gotten it done
Old 02-24-2010, 11:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 07tungsten
Originally Posted by rozzman10
Not trying to hyjack but sweet looking two doors tungsten and rozzman

I don't see many 2 doors around here
Old 02-25-2010, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 20% in the hard top and 35% on the front. I just had the 35% added yesterday and its perfect.

I don't have pictures of the 35% in front, due to snow now. But here's a picture of my 20% on my hard top. It looks perfect. Enough to see through the other end, but at some angles its pitch black.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tommy35SS
Not trying to hyjack but sweet looking two doors tungsten and rozzman

I don't see many 2 doors around here
thank you kind sir.. mostly four doors in my area too.. but me.. im a two door guy.. it hasnt looked that clean in a while.. im ready for warm weather so i can get all the crap cleaned out.. and off of it lol
Old 02-26-2010, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a friend that owns a tint shop and he has one of those "devices" that you place over the window to calculate the tint percentage.
We put it on the JK windows and it came up at exactly 20%. Now I am sure that due to the differences in tinting procedures it may look different but that was what the device stated: 20%.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most good tint shops can look at it and match it up nicely.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigback
Anyone know how dark the stock tints are on the back windows and hardtop of the sport package/Sahara? I'm looking at getting my front two windows tinted and don't want it to look awkward/darker than the other windows. Thanks.

I used 20% tint on my fronts and it matches pretty damn close. Front may be a shade darker but not really noticeable. If you can find 28% it would probably be a closer match...depends on how dark you wanna be and also what the state laws are in your area. In NY tint laws suck I got pulled for jumping a divider when getting off the exit, and the cop had me roll down my window and he put a light meter on it said my windows measured at 18%VLT visual light transfer. So I guess the factory fronts already have a very slight tint to them.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

The consensus seems to be an 18% factory tint and when I went to the shop 20% matched up almost perfectly. I thought it was a little too dark for the front windows though.

I think I'm going to go ahead and do a 30% tint because of all of the night driving I do as well as potential problems with law enforcement. I'll get it done during the Spring and post back with pictures.

Thanks, everyone.

Quick Reply: Tint Percentage