Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Times that you would rely in 4x4

Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm relatively new to 4wd's and prior to buying the jeep used to be a volunteer driver for the college where my wife worked. Used to drive Toyota Landcruisers and Land Rovers all over Fraser Island and once you start going off road you can't get enough of that feeling, you find yourself looking for things to go over just because you can. It's fun and you quickly gain an appreciation for the design of the jeep, it's amazing crawling up a steep and rutted mountain track in 4wd low, seeing nothing but sky ahead of you, knowing that lesser vehicles would have given up by now. Your jeep is simply doing what it was designed for, what it loves to do and it's priceless when you look across at your wife who you thought wasn't into 4wding and see a big stupid grin on her face as she starts to get why you wanted the jeep so badly in the first place. I promise you that you wont regret going 4wd. A jeep without 4wd is like a Ferrari with a toyota engine, perfectly driveable and would allow more people do drive a Ferrari and enjoy the "look" but completely pointless.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Hip2u77
Also get the power group for the simple fact that unless you roll the back windows down a bit then you'll get lots of air in your face when your front windows are down. Obviously that's much easier to take care of with the power group.
I didn't know this. But, then, who has windows? Driving with the doors off is way too much fun!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

pull up your skirt & buy the 4WD.

you'll never be in a situation where you kick yourself in the ass saying, "Damn! should've bought the 4WD set-up."
Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's better to have 4wd and never need it, then to need it and not have it.

it's not that much more expensive, and if you use it even once during the years that you have your jeep then it is more than worth the extra expense.

many of us know... it sucks to be stuck!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by glick
many of us know... it sucks to be stuck!
And we also know it makes great stories . . once you're unstuck!

Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

I'd like to chime in with my 2 pennies.

With a 4x4, you can go places you could not without it. It opens up a new world that you can see and experience.

Once place in particular I am thinking of now is the Padre Island National Seashore in Texas. Once your tires hit the sand, it is 5 miles of pretty tame beach. But after that 5 miles, there is a sign that says, and sorry if my memory is not correct, "4x4's only after this point. Dangerous sand and debris past this point". Or something to that effect. Anyway, it is another 55 miles down the beach to the jetties. You would never, EVER be able to drive that beautiful area if you did not have 4x4.

IMHO, 4x4 is worth every penny....
Old 10-09-2007, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=Caboose;185457]Hay Guyz,
Remember when I made a poll on weather powerwindows were worth the 2k?
^ after the test drive it didn't bother me not to have them.

This one is for the 4x4... it a 1-2 K option so... In wich cases has 4x4 gotten you out of a sticky situation?

How often do you use it?

Do you think ill need it?
Ill be doin' 80% City 15% hwy , 5% offroad (not rocks or anything like that.. more like trails on trips to the mountains, beach and all those fun places, camping)

Also it will be an Unlimited

It sounds like I do more off roading with my Pont. Bonneville than you will with a jeep. Just buy a mini van and find a forum for them and they will help you figure out your best use for it.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default A third option...

Check on the 3wd version... split the difference! sorry guys, couldn't resist...
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did caboose get banned just for asking if he should get a 2wd? Man you guys are hardcore
Old 10-11-2007, 03:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepthrill
Did caboose get banned just for asking if he should get a 2wd? Man you guys are hardcore
i was wondering what the little knucklehead did as well. now we're going to miss all his "got my ass handed to me in Boot Camp" stories.

Quick Reply: Times that you would rely in 4x4