Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Times that you would rely in 4x4

Old 09-25-2007, 11:34 AM
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my Driving fill today... Went helping my mum house shopping... worst day ever.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 4x2 and it is definitely a regret, even with where I live, i live in south florida so I never have to worry about snow, but even if I want to drive to daytona and ride on the beach I cant. Either way I love it, but it was a mistake I shouldnt have made. But then again it was that or nothing at the time.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Everytime I am going somewhere and someone asks me if I have a 4x4, I tell the person, "If it isn't a 4x4, it isn't a real Jeep."
I got the 4x4, and used it once in over a year, and probably didn't need to use it, but did just for safety (Tampa run earlier in the year). I was in 2x4 and got to a big hump, then asked if it should be in 4x4 and I was looked at like I was crazy.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Caboose
...4x4... Do you think ill need it? Ill be doin' ... trails on trips to the mountains, beach and all those fun places, camping)
Definitely get it, unless by "camping" you mean towing it behind your mega-bucks RV to the local KOA. I do lots of camping (real camping, in a tent I carry on my back) and was using an F150 pick-up to get places. But, there were so many times that I needed 4X4 because someone got stuck (mud, snow, sand, etc), because the place I wanted to go required 4X4 on some of its roads (Death Valley, Big Bend, Canyonlands, Sedona, Moab, etc), because the hike I wanted to take would be shorter if I could drive to a closer trailhead, etc. Yes, most definitely, unless you're 100% paved road driving, go with the 4X4.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Having 4 wheel drive can be related to driving a Viper.
You may never go 160+ mph but its a great felling to know that you can.
Driving a 4X4 Wrangler and seeing an embankment that you know you could drive right up and over is a good feeling even if you don't do it.

And 4 wheel drive can sometimes come it handy even on a daily drive.
I was tring to leave a resturant the other night. The only parking lot exit was blocked by an accident involving a utility truck and a car. I drove to the far end of the lot where there was no landscaping just dirt, put it in 4 hi and drove over the concrete stop block in the parking space, up a small embankment, over the curb and on to the street. No harm done. Except for my wife yelling at me.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
I would get it. Resale value will be higher.
True.

Originally Posted by doojer
Definitely get the 4x4. Even if you do only go offroad 5% of the time, you will be very happy you went for the 4wd. It will help you get better traction on sand and in mud and 4-low will give you the power to get up steep mountain trails at high elevations.

Another thing to point out is that when I bought my Sahara as my daily driver, I expected to do very light wheelin' here and there. That all changed when I got her. Owning a Jeep gave me the wheelin' bug in a bad way and now I wheel almost every weekend, and every weekend I try to push the limit just a little bit more.

Trust me.... get the 4x4. If nothing else, it will be worth more when you try to sell it someday.
Again, a true statement. Getting a 2x4 Wrangler would be like calling a steer a bull.

Originally Posted by bertjnkns
Why Jeep would bastardize the thing and offer it in 4x2 is beyond me. And if you have to ask this question you should probably be shopping for an economical sedan.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw one for the first time at the dealer.

Originally Posted by The_Captain
You could just get the 4X4 and leave it in 2wd all the time... Then when you do get stuck you can unstick yourself... I like to leave it in 2wd and see how far I can get, and it will do some amazing stuff (X 2 door) but then when things get dicey I'm glad I have all four wheels slinging mud
I've done that when my pasture is muddy.

Originally Posted by berg
Having 4 wheel drive can be related to driving a Viper.
You may never go 160+ mph but its a great felling to know that you can.
Driving a 4X4 Wrangler and seeing an embankment that you know you could drive right up and over is a good feeling even if you don't do it.

And 4 wheel drive can sometimes come it handy even on a daily drive.
I was tring to leave a resturant the other night. The only parking lot exit was blocked by an accident involving a utility truck and a car. I drove to the far end of the lot where there was no landscaping just dirt, put it in 4 hi and drove over the concrete stop block in the parking space, up a small embankment, over the curb and on to the street. No harm done. Except for my wife yelling at me.
My Ex used to yell at me when we were in the Jeep too. Never could figure out why.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Just by owning a Jeep shows that you are thinking outside of the box.

The wife hasn't driven mine enough to develop that "I can go anywhere" thought process.

She still thinks that its just a car and gets worked up when I do things that I would never attempt in her car.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Buying a 4x2 jeep is like traveling to the most reputable dog breeder and purchashing one of these.

http://www.samuidog.org/img_dog_bakka.jpg

Last edited by JKinPA; 09-27-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

4x2 or 4x4???

You would know this answer if you would've only subscribed to the hugely popular and highly regarded off-road publication, "Duh".

Seriously though,

Lots of reasons to get the 4x4. Resale, It's a Wrangler, Mountains, Exploring, Moab, Beachs, Moab, Ghost Towns, Moab, Camping, MOAB!!!

Reasons to get 4x2 *crickets chirping* Um. . . Err. . .

Also get the power group for the simple fact that unless you roll the back windows down a bit then you'll get lots of air in your face when your front windows are down. Obviously that's much easier to take care of with the power group.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unless these guys are helping you pay for your Jeep, screw them!

Most Jeep purists believe Jeep bastardized the Wrangler by making a 4-door. Jeep is appealing to a larger base of consumers by offering a 4-door, and they are appealing to an even larger base by offering a 2wd version to people that want to have the Jeep-look, but know it will never do anything more than mall-crawl.

Jeep is doing what they need to do to make larger sales.

With all of that said, this wasnt even a question worth asking, get the 4wd!

Quick Reply: Times that you would rely in 4x4