Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Times that you would rely in 4x4

Old 09-24-2007, 11:42 AM
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Times that you would rely in 4x4

Hay Guyz,
Remember when I made a poll on weather powerwindows were worth the 2k?
^ after the test drive it didn't bother me not to have them.

This one is for the 4x4... it a 1-2 K option so... In wich cases has 4x4 gotten you out of a sticky situation?

How often do you use it?

Do you think ill need it?
Ill be doin' 80% City 15% hwy , 5% offroad (not rocks or anything like that.. more like trails on trips to the mountains, beach and all those fun places, camping)

Also it will be an Unlimited

I'm Thinking I should get it just because its Jeep

What are your thoughts?

- Going to Place an order the minute I touch tech school

Last edited by Caboose; 09-24-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Get the 4x4. IMO all jeeps should be 4x4.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you off road? Do you ever get bad winters? If the answer is no to both of these questions then you don't need it. I love to off road so 4x4 is a must. If you don't need it then I would save the money. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

my opinion is go 4x4. why else get a Wrangler? That and the "Jeep thing" addiction is going to get you sooner or later and those easy mountain trails become mudd puddles, then creek crossing, then hill climbs and then rocks...

But like others have said, weather could be a big thing. Not to mention you never know when there might have been a freak rainstorm, or even better a rock slide, across your tame mountain trails!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Caboose
5% offroad (not rocks or anything like that.. more like trails on trips to the mountains, beach and all those fun places, camping)
Definitely get the 4x4. Even if you do only go offroad 5% of the time, you will be very happy you went for the 4wd. It will help you get better traction on sand and in mud and 4-low will give you the power to get up steep mountain trails at high elevations.

Another thing to point out is that when I bought my Sahara as my daily driver, I expected to do very light wheelin' here and there. That all changed when I got her. Owning a Jeep gave me the wheelin' bug in a bad way and now I wheel almost every weekend, and every weekend I try to push the limit just a little bit more.

Trust me.... get the 4x4. If nothing else, it will be worth more when you try to sell it someday.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Caboose
Do you think ill need it?
Ask yourself this..."How embarrassed/pissed would I be if I got stuck in my new 2wd WRANGLER?"

Originally Posted by doojer
If nothing else, it will be worth more when you try to sell it someday.
Great point as well.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I would get it. Resale value will be higher.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

All these guys are spot on with their opinions of 2wd vs. 4wd. I say definitely get the 4wd. In the long run, you will be happy you did.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

IMO definately get the 4x4 if you can. even if you only plan on hitting light trails. Yeah.. you prob. can do "some" offroading in the 4x2... but there are always times when 4x4 will help, especially if you dont plan on modifying your suspension etc. There will always be times when you need 4x4. Especially if there is a mud or big hill climb around.. its impossible to not go through/over them. The temptation is just too strong for anyone to handle

You'll definately get more use out of it.. and piece of mind knowing its there if you need it.

My opinion has always been that I'd rather make a $30 more per month car payment for something I really wanted, than save $30 and not be as happy. If your gonna be paying anyways, it should be exactly what you want.

Just my .02
Old 09-24-2007, 12:30 PM
JK Junkie

Get the 4x4. If you don't we're gonna give you H . E . L . L .!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Times that you would rely in 4x4