Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Time for new brake pads - is it safe to keep driving?

Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new brake pads - is it safe to keep driving?

Hi all,

I've been getting the loud hissing noise coming out of my rear brakes for the last 3 days or so. I only get the hissing 'air releasing' noise while driving or coasting, not while actually braking. Once I apply the brakes reasonably hard it cuts out. I'm pretty sure this means new brake pads in rear - no biggie, it's time, I have 42K miles.

My question is - it's Monday now and I won't be able to have them replaced until Friday. Am I in any immediate danger here? I'm running heavy ass Toyo 35s which I'm sure put alot of stress on the brakes. I also commute on the highway at 80 MPH for 20 miles or so each way.

Thoughts?

Last edited by MarbleheadGuy; 09-17-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

When you get home from work today pop the rear wheels off and take a peak at the pads. If there is any material left on them then you can probably make it. If you are metal to metal then do not drive it untill you replace the pads/rotors. Metal to metal contact usually makes quite a racket so it doesn't sound like you have reached that point yet.
Mike

- depending on which wheels you have you may be able to use a flashlight to see the outside pads on each wheel by looking through the gaps or openings in the wheel structure without removing the wheel.

Last edited by mikd; 09-17-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stop on the way home and get pads and a 18mm box wrench. It takes ONLY minutes to swap pads once the wheels are off.

Next time, inspect every 10k miles.

Howard
Old 09-17-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very true, do it once and you will never pay for a brake service again. Takes longer to jack it up and remove the wheels than to change pads/rotors.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never done brakes on any of my vehicles. I read a few write ups on the forum and was able to do my front pads in about an hour. It was so easy I am still kicking my self to have had someone else do it in the past.
NEVER AGAIN. I say give it a try and save a few hundred bucks.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am not mechanically inclined at all and found it extremely easy. My wife changed hers in her Maxima all by herself.

Quick Reply: Time for new brake pads - is it safe to keep driving?