Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Ticking Noise led to blown engine

Old 01-20-2015, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 JK ticking noise

All,

Attached is my personal experience with my JK.

I have had my 13 JK in the dealer on three different occasions (it now has 20,700 mi on it) for a ticking noise and because I change my own oil the dealership (Tom O'Brien) states that they will not warranty it because there's no proof that I have changed my oil. When I produced standard Pepboys oil receipts they stated that the receipts had to have my jeep VIN number and the mileage on them. I didn't know that changing my own oil would void the warranty of my jeep. Which is total crap. I could not even get them to diagnose the vehicle and the Chrysler Care Line was no help either because the District Manager declined to warranty the issue. So now I'm on my own and will be taking the jeep to my personal mechanic for a diagnosis. Not happy at all with the treatment that I've have received.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Strange....I work for a dealership not a Jeep or Dodge Chrysler. It is dam near possible to Deny warranty work I have sawn fake receipts get accepted by the manufacture even knowing they were fake but never could prove it, as far as doing your own maintenance no law states you can't actually there are laws that say you can, the only advice I can give is keep your receipts the oil filter should decode to your engine and best to keep a log with the date and mileage that correlate to the date of you oil & filter purchase that should be more than enough if all else fails 1800 lemon law they love breach of warranty cases
Old 01-20-2015, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

htm7765,
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stephanie888123
htm7765, Thanks for the information. I appreciate it!
My pleasure Good Luck
Old 01-23-2015, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only advice is get everything you can in writing.

My dealer denied the warranty on my 07 when the throw out bearing in the clutch failed. I had them put the reason for denial in writing before I'd pay for the repair.
Reluctantly agreed to pay the $1,000 for the entire clutch replacement and started building my case.

Day after I picked the Jeep up I filed a claim with Chryslers corporate warranty service disputing my warranty claim denial.
My warranty clearly said "all bearings are covered" and they are. I copied the page stating so and my warranty agreement from dealer purchase.
All my receipts and the dealers written denial stating "clutch is not covered". Photos of the clutch plate they removed as well. 90% of new so obviously still good.

2 weeks later Chrysler sent me a check including my rental car and 1 day of documented missed wages for travelling to and from the dealership.
No letter, no explanation just a check. Fine with me.

Point is, your fight is not with the dealership. They get a yes or no over the phone and that's the end of it. They have zero
Your fight is with Chryslers warranty service. You have to prove they are wrong and you can. IF you have written proof.

Depending on your state laws they can owe you triple damages of a court finds in your favor.
For a $6K or more repair bill plus rental car, attorneys fees and missed wages that could equal a hefty penalty for Chrysler. And they know it.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Ticking Noise led to blown engine