Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Thumping & Knocking Brake Pedal even at rest

Old 02-15-2023, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumping & Knocking Brake Pedal even at rest

The local dealer had my 2011 stock JK Sport for three weeks and failed to identify cause of thumping/knocking sound when the brake pedal is moderately depressed, after the car is warm, and occurs both while moving and braking and while sitting still in neutral (so maybe something related to vacuum?). It continues for a while after engine turned off. It seems to originate at the master cylinder/booster, but the dealer claims nothing wrong there... It's a loud thump/knock -- like someone under the car banging on the undercarriage, but also accompanied by creaks and quieter thumps, depending how hard or gently the pedal is depressed. I can't find any similar complaints anywhere online. Anybody have an idea or similar experience?
Old 02-18-2023, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have same issue. Anti locks??? Again, noise occurs moving or stopped. I can’t Get it to do this all the time. I have all new rotors and pads and two new calipers. Stumped.

Jeep stops great but the noise is disconcerting.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by svg2
The local dealer had my 2011 stock JK Sport for three weeks and failed to identify cause of thumping/knocking sound when the brake pedal is moderately depressed, after the car is warm, and occurs both while moving and braking and while sitting still in neutral (so maybe something related to vacuum?). It continues for a while after engine turned off. It seems to originate at the master cylinder/booster, but the dealer claims nothing wrong there... It's a loud thump/knock -- like someone under the car banging on the undercarriage, but also accompanied by creaks and quieter thumps, depending how hard or gently the pedal is depressed. I can't find any similar complaints anywhere online. Anybody have an idea or similar experience?
did you ever figure this out?

Quick Reply: Thumping & Knocking Brake Pedal even at rest