Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Throttle Response

Old 10-11-2008, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the same problem, stalled my six speed at a light today like a new driver

After driving almost everything on wheels, this does not feel right. How did you guys make out with the programmer?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it worth buying the programmer just to fix this?How expensive is it?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdantonio
Hi! Yep...I agree that it very well may be the "fly-by-wire" malady. I've said this statement many times in this forum....Jeep has put TOO MUCH DEPENDENCE on the computer! They really should have kept it to just what is needed to pass inspections and let the driver learn to get the most performance or efficiency out of his / her Jeep. I don't know what will happen when the computer pukes but I'm reasonably sure it won't "be a good thing"! Take care... Mike
I can understand what you are saying but pretty much any car since the 80's have had a computer type module of some sort in them. If that goes bad the engine doesn't run. Even before that since Point style ignition there has atleast been a control module that burn up sooner or later leaving you stranded.

As far as the lag I don't even notice it anymore. I don't think I compensate for it. When I drive my CJ right afterward I don't have any problems with the throttle. The only trouble I have with the switch is the brakes. My CJ has manual brakes so you really have to push them..
Old 10-11-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hate the lag... it makes the lack of torque seem worse. I also feel like it is worse when in reverse...
Old 10-12-2008, 04:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
I can understand your comments about the computer and all. It's worth noting that one reason Jeep went to the drive by wire setup was to offer smoother, more controlled throttle action went in 4LO at low speed. The computer actually changes the throttle action so you don't get the throttle bobble that could occur in the TJ. In my experience it seems really nice, though is a minor annoyance on the highway.
Pearl has it right, the jeep engineers intentionally designed the throttle system for low speed rock control....no more Mr. Bobble head
Old 10-12-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

I have 12k on mine and it still bothers me. Don't think I will get used to it.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

good stuff to know. Thanks guys
Old 10-13-2008, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

It's noticeable but if I mash the pedal it wakes up pretty fast. It does feel like the computer is controlling the delay when it occurs, kinda random.

Quick Reply: Throttle Response