Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Throttle Response

Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Response

Does anyone else notice a delay from the time you press the gas pedal until the engine revs?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-17-2008, 02:34 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Summit Jeep
Does anyone else notice a delay from the time you press the gas pedal until the engine revs?

Thanks,
John
Yes, it's common. Apparently the new drive-by-wire setup is the cause.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys following each other from board to board, or what?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, sometimes more than others. The engine almost dropped to an idle on me recently while driving up a hill with the overdrive off.

It hasn't done that again and normally it's just an annoying lag.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mrsig
The Hypertech Max Energy Programmer got ride of that for me plus a few other good thins it dose too!
I can't claim that it's entirely gone but I, too, have noticed a big improvement with the Hypertech Max Energy programmer... I installed my AIRAID first, and it helped a little, but the programmer even more so.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi! Yep...I agree that it very well may be the "fly-by-wire" malady. I've said this statement many times in this forum....Jeep has put TOO MUCH DEPENDENCE on the computer! They really should have kept it to just what is needed to pass inspections and let the driver learn to get the most performance or efficiency out of his / her Jeep. I don't know what will happen when the computer pukes but I'm reasonably sure it won't "be a good thing"! Take care... Mike
Old 07-18-2008, 02:10 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mdantonio
Hi! Yep...I agree that it very well may be the "fly-by-wire" malady. I've said this statement many times in this forum....Jeep has put TOO MUCH DEPENDENCE on the computer! They really should have kept it to just what is needed to pass inspections and let the driver learn to get the most performance or efficiency out of his / her Jeep. I don't know what will happen when the computer pukes but I'm reasonably sure it won't "be a good thing"! Take care... Mike
I can understand your comments about the computer and all. It's worth noting that one reason Jeep went to the drive by wire setup was to offer smoother, more controlled throttle action went in 4LO at low speed. The computer actually changes the throttle action so you don't get the throttle bobble that could occur in the TJ. In my experience it seems really nice, though is a minor annoyance on the highway.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:29 AM
JK Freak

I have it to , took 2000 miles and it trained me I guess I am getting used to it now, is it part of the ESP ??? Will turning off the ESP help?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

The delay in the press of the accelerator and when the engine revs is supposed to be there, Jeep intended it to be this way for off-roading purposes. According to what I have read, the delay is to help keep traction, as the throttle kind of eases its way in. I hate it myself, especially when the wife wants to take the Commander when we go somewhere. I am so used to the lag, that I mash the pedal in the V8 Commander and it has no lag, basically throws me into the seat. My wife looks at me as if I'm retarded, LoL. Nothing was worse though, than getting into the 93 Stroked 347 Mustang and constantly breaking the tires loose from light to light because I was used to the lag thing in the Jeep.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default drive by wire

see the AEM air intake post for some data on this topic...

after i do the install ill take some data on the time from pedal sensor to throttle actuator if youd like

Gex

Quick Reply: Throttle Response