Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Throttle linkage connection

Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle linkage connection

Today i went off roading and shifted into 4high then drove around like normally, i decided to just try 4low (no obstacles to need it, just wanted to test it properly) i waited until i was at 5mph, then shifted into neutral to engage, it was slightly hard putting into gear, but once it was in everything was fine. When i decided to switch back into 2wd it acted odd, then lost all response to throttle, transfer case was unresponsive, everything. i stopped got underneath and looked for the throttle linkage, found it disconnected, reconnected it. But im wondering if there is a possible way to make it a more secure connection. I am also wondering if now that my linkage is reconnected is my 4wd still going to work properly, or should i take the shifting column apart to check for a break or strain?

thanks for the help. its kind of silly, but i need to make sure i dont need to get real in depth before i go off road again.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you mean Transfer Case Cable Linkage, not throttle linkage? The stupid little plastic c-clip probably came off, so you'll need a new one. Some people on this forum have used other, stronger methods to secure the linkage (ie: modified, welded copper washers, different types of clips and snap connectors available from auto and hardware stores, etc). Just type "transfer case connector" into the search bar & you'll get plenty of information.

A good way to add extra strength to the OEM c-clip and provide a back-up system in case the clip fails is to add a simple plastic cable-tie (or two in an X formation) over the clip and around the cable end and the shifter lever on the transfer case. Always pays to carry a pack of these zip ties in your glovebox just in case.

As for damage to your vehicle, Chrysler suggests that these plastic c-clips are designed to be the "weak link" in the part-time 4WD system that will fail first when too much strain is put on the shifting system, before more serious and expensive damage is done to the cable linkage system or the transfer case itself. Seeing as the design of the straight-cut gears in the low-range section of the transfer case means that shifting in & out of 4-low can be tricky and many people tend to force the shifter until they get used to it, this may support Chrysler's assertions. Many people here on this forum however suggest that the reason the clips fail is because they are so close to the exhaust pipe on that side that the constant heat makes the cheap plastic brittle and prone to breaking apart.

Last edited by JKlad; 02-18-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKlad
I think you mean Transfer Case Cable Linkage, not throttle linkage? The stupid little plastic c-clip probably came off, so you'll need a new one. Some people on this forum have used other, stronger methods to secure the linkage (ie: modified, welded copper washers, different types of clips and snap connectors available from auto and hardware stores, etc). Just type "transfer case connector" into the search bar & you'll get plenty of information.

A good way to add extra strength to the OEM c-clip and provide a back-up system in case the clip fails is to add a simple plastic cable-tie (or two in an X formation) over the clip and around the cable end and the shifter lever on the treansfer case. Always pays to carry a pack of these zip ties in your glovebox just in case.

As for damage to your vehicle, Chrysler suggests that these plastic c-clips are designed to be the "weak link" in the part-time 4WD system that will fail first when too much strain is put on the shifting system, before more serious and expensive damage is done to the cable linkage system or the transfer case itself. Seeing as the design of the straight-cut gears in the low-range section of the transfer case means that shifting in & out of 4-low can be tricky and many people tend to force the shifter until they get used to it, this may support Chrysler's assertions. Many people here on this forum however suggest that the reason the clips fail is because they are so close to the exhaust pipe on that side that they constant heat makes the cheap plastic brittle and prone to breaking apart.

This is great, but i cant seem to find the connector while under the jeep, is there a "easy" access point for this? or do i really need to disassemble the shifting column?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarathesahara
This is great, but i cant seem to find the connector while under the jeep, is there a "easy" access point for this? or do i really need to disassemble the shifting column?
If you got under and reconnected the linkage, I'm wondering why now you say you can't seem to find the connector.

If you mean you can't find the plastic clip, it gone. You need a new one.

People say the plastic clip is designed to be a "weak point". Not true. It's just a weak design. If that piece were as strong as it should be, like the new cable linkage Advance Adapters makes, you're not going to hurt anything because it doesn't break first.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx

If you got under and reconnected the linkage, I'm wondering why now you say you can't seem to find the connector. .
There are two clips that can break, one at the t-case junction and the other at the shift column. I broke the top one. Took me a bit. But it's out. And I bought 2 extras just in case.

Quick Reply: Throttle linkage connection