Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

throttle hesitation???

Old 05-14-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle hesitation???

I'm impatient but can't find this thread anywhere... My Jk is an unlimited rubi with the auto tranny. Sometimes when going 10-15 mph and accelerating, there seems to be a "dead spot" in the accelerator.

I always notice it on one particular corner... around town-when I slow down to turn the corner then push the gas pedal down (not floored) there is this 1 second hesitation which feels as if the engine isn't even running. If I floor it....fine. I'd rather test the waters and see if anyone knows what I'm talking bout b4 I take it to the dealer.
Thanks for any input.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi

Sounds like it's the drive by wire causing delay. I also know that if your JK is in overdrive, especially at low speeds, it will be very sluggish and unresponsive to throttle input. If that's the case, try deactivating the OD and see if that helps out any. If not, then maybe you have some issue. To me the drive by wire is the biggest difference in driving characteristics between the JK and my previous TJ (a lot of people seem to blame the engine).
Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don' t if the two are related, but on the stock air intake if you put our hand over the intake for the air box with the engine running you can feel suction. I felt this was too restictive so I drilled 3 large holes in the air box below the filter to allow more air in. This seemed to help with the dead spot your taking about.
More air can't be a bad thing.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:24 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by GrimsbyAl
I don' t if the two are related, but on the stock air intake if you put our hand over the intake for the air box with the engine running you can feel suction. I felt this was too restictive so I drilled 3 large holes in the air box below the filter to allow more air in. This seemed to help with the dead spot your taking about.
More air can't be a bad thing.
I agree, my Airaid intake definitely helped with throttle response, but it's still not exactly a tremendous seat-of-the-pants improvement.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same issue.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default dead spot in throttle

Anyone else have this problem? When traveling any speed but more so around 10-15 mph. If I depress the gas pedal maybe half way- it feels as if the engine completely dies and hesitates for a second or so. Sometimes it's kinda scary when pulling out into traffic. Figured I'd ask here b4 I go to the stealership. Sorry to ad this again I didn't think my post of the same problem took yesterday... doh

Last edited by rubimonster; 05-15-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine went away when I programmed it with Hypertech.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rubimonster
I'm impatient but can't find this thread anywhere... My Jk is an unlimited rubi with the auto tranny. Sometimes when going 10-15 mph and accelerating, there seems to be a "dead spot" in the accelerator.

I always notice it on one particular corner... around town-when I slow down to turn the corner then push the gas pedal down (not floored) there is this 1 second hesitation which feels as if the engine isn't even running. If I floor it....fine. I'd rather test the waters and see if anyone knows what I'm talking bout b4 I take it to the dealer.
Thanks for any input.

Part of the problem is designed in on purpose. Drive by wire "compensates" for small pedal movements by doing nothing. This is so when you are going down the trail you don't bump the throttle because of vehicle movement. Also for the purpose of fuel economy. Hypertec Max Power eliminates this feature...

Quick Reply: throttle hesitation???