Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Throttle Body** Red Lightning Bolt** Limp Mode

Old 07-06-2015, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body** Red Lightning Bolt** Limp Mode

I have an 08 JK X model with base electronic options and 123k miles. Recently, it started to go into limp mode. I then cleaned the throttle body and insulted the wiring near the throttle body because I had read that helped some others and it was an easy fix but that made it worse. It goes into limp mode when it shifts into overdrive. I turned overdrive off and it will drive fine for a few miles but if I go past 50mph it will go into limp or if I get the rpm's too high it will throw up the red lightning bolt and I will have intermittent throttle response. Here is what is slightly different from other threads I have read. It doesn't seem to read any codes when I turn the key 3 times. The dashes stay on and then it says done. Also, no check engine light. After it says "done" the red bolt starts flashing. If I start it, the Jeep will run really rough, as if there was no throttle body on at all, and then it back fires. I turn it off right away. Repeat the key turns and go through the same motions 2-12 times and then it resets itself and I drive a few more miles only to repeat again.
I did put a throttle body spacer on a couple weeks ago. I took it off when I cleaned the throttle body and it got worse. From what I have read, this is the throttle position sensor or possibly the throttle body itself. Since cleaning the throttle body removing the spacer made it worse, I am thinking that replacing the throttle body is in my best interest. Also, with the considerable amount of people reporting this issue combined with the fact that the original throttle body has 123k miles on it, makes me think replacing it is a good idea.
I called all of the local auto parts stores in Seattle and no one has a throttle body for the Wrangler. They don't even list a part number. I then called the Chrysler of Seattle dealership and the parts manager said that their system was showing -154 in stock. Meaning they had 154 back ordered throttle bodies. So no auto parts stores stock them nor have the ability to order them and the dealership has them back ordered. What the heck is going one here? Any knowledge would be great.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

120k on my 10 without any issues and I've pulled my throttle body and cleaned it multiple times.

Did you use a specific throttle body cleaner or just a carb cleaner? If you're dead set on buying a new throttle body then call up the hemi/ v8 conversion shops and ask if they'll sell you one. Also check out daveysjeeps, aev, jeep speed shop, and even eBay- there's a seller on eBay who sells many obscure jeep parts.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

used regular carb cleaner. I will have to look into the Hemi version. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

To be clear, I was talking about asking the conversion shops if they will sell you one from a 3.8L. The viper throttle body is a "thing" but I haven't looked into the particulars.

Please be sure to use only throttle body cleaner or spray your carb cleaner on a rag and then just lightly wipe things down.

Last edited by karls10jk; 07-07-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:00 PM
JK Newbie

Update: I replaced the entire throttle body today and that fixed the problem. The previous throttle body was malfunctioning for some time and I didn't realize it. If your Jeep is gutless in overdrive and it seems to shift at the wrong times then don't rule out the throttle control sensor. If I was heading up a mountain pass, I would have it to the floor and the throttle was probably only half way open so the rpm's were too low and the thing really struggled to gain speed going up any kind of hill.
Problem is, trying to find the part. The dealership seems to be backordered and there is no after market option from the local O'Reillys, Pep Boys, Auto Zone. None of those places had a part number in their system so they couldn't even order it. I got mine through a local junk yard.
Also, when you install the new throttle, make sure to disconnect the battery and when you reconnect everything make sure to calibrate the throttle sensor with the pedal sensor. Turn the key to the "On" position and slowly press and depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor. Then turn the key off and then start the Jeep.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body** Red Lightning Bolt** Limp Mode