Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Three idiot lights.. Zero clue what happened

Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

more than likely with those 3 lights on, the computer CAN bus lost communications with the SCM (steering control module)...

like everyone else has said, disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes, re-connect, and drive..

if for some reason there is a loose pin in a connector or such it will happen again and then you can head off to the stealership for warranty work...

CAN is a delicate protocol and too many erorrs often cause a module to just pull itself off the network... the PCM then cant read the conditions and will execute the error code which activates those lights...

computers in cars are no different than other computers, they occasionally wig-out and need to be "re-booted"..

-Christopher
Old 09-13-2010, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys. A little bummed I couldn't get it to work myself- but I found some free time in my schedule and ran it over to the dealership to get fixed. They said they'll just fix it under warranty. Once I get it back from them, I'll post up here and let you know what was up.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default This may sound odd, but...

Check the bolts on your track bar. I had those indicator lights coming on all the time shortly after having my lift installed. They always went off at some point- sometimes a few minutes, sometimes not for another day or so.

After a lot of wasted trips to the dealership, I took it back to the shop that installed the lift. They did a check of all the suspension components and found the track bar was a little loose. After tightening it, I didn't have any issues with these lights or with the Death Wobble I'd been experiencing.

The shop said that the track bar bolts tend to come loose and need to be checked now and then. I've recently (over 2 yrs later) started getting the Death Wobble again, and have had a couple cases of these indicator lights coming back on. Time for me to check the track bar again myself.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

UPDATE: So the dealer called and said that it was the wheel sensors rubbing, and that they would need to be replaced. They also said they would rewire them such that they wouldnt rub.. But this wasnt covered under warranty. I'll get my rig back tomorrow hopefully.

So.... what do the wheel sensors do?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wartoy
So.... what do the wheel sensors do?
In short, they tell the computer how fast the wheels are turning.

This affects ABS because the computer is looking for a wheel to stop spinning all of a sudden so it can pump the affected brake.

Affects traction and stability control because the computer compares wheel speeds to each other, along with yaw and steering angle sensors, to determine if a tire is losing traction and/or the vehicle is out of control.

Glad you're getting it fixed, sorry you didn't detect the problem yourself and now have to pay the labor for an easy job.

Originally Posted by Alec
I'd also crawl around and see if there's any visible damage to the wheel speed sensors or wiring. It's possible you scraped the backside of a hub on a rock and rubbed a wire or something like that.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you had to go out of pocket for repairs. Are they using the lift as the reason to deny warranty coverage?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default don't believe everything the dealer says...

My dealer replaced my electronic brake control module 3 times chasing the source of the same symptom, luckily under warranty, but it was still all for nothing because that wasn't the problem.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kingteddybear
Sorry you had to go out of pocket for repairs. Are they using the lift as the reason to deny warranty coverage?
Yeah. Hard to deny that it was the lift that caused the problem though

Quick Reply: Three idiot lights.. Zero clue what happened