Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Three idiot lights.. Zero clue what happened

Old 09-12-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three idiot lights.. Zero clue what happened

Here's the deal, hopefully you guys can help me out.

We went camping last night to this place in jacumba (I'll upload some pics and what not later) , but we did some trailing today in the morning everything went a-okay and was a blast.

On the way home 20 minutes from our house I hear a *bing* and THREE of those lights came on: ABS, ESP/BAS, and that traction control light you get when you go into 4Low. Everything feels fine, I checked around the underside of the rig and everything looks okay. I don't know what it possibly could be.

Any tips/ where do I go from here. Warranty fix?
Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow the directions in this link and check for codes. Post back any codes reported:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...agnostic-Codes
Old 09-12-2010, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

---------- followed by --dOnE-- which after reading a few posts from that thread should mean i have no problems.. weirdness
Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Wartoy
---------- followed by --dOnE-- which after reading a few posts from that thread should mean i have no problems.. weirdness
Sometimes a code reader will show codes that don't display with the self-diagnostic display.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dunno if this applies.....probably won't hurt to try.
... Found a trick to clear the codes:
Remove the NEGATIVE battery cable.
Turn the key to START and hold for 15 or so seconds.
Replace the NEGATIVE battery cable.
Start jeep, MIL/CEL should be gone.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

What is the ESP BAS ?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it's just the light coming on, I wouldn't be too concerned. I would probably schedule an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out. If the skidding car light comes on not a biggie, if the skidding car, ESP/BAS light comes on and stays on and nothing else happens, that means the system is in fault.

Now if the ESP and skidding car comes on and you can actually feel the Jeep braking then the ESP system is engaged and if this it under "normal" driving then you have a problem and you should take it to the dealer.

If the ESP and skidding car comes on and the engine is sputtering or completely shutting off under normal driving conditions then you really should get it to the dealer.

This is assuming you have had an alignment done (even if you have not had a lift) or adjusted your toe yourself and checked the tightness of the linkages and your steering wheel is straight while driving straight.

Some things that could place the ESP/BAS system in fault are:
Broken/faulty clock spring on the steering wheel.
Broken/faulty wheel speed sensors.
Broken/faulty vehicle speed sensor on transmission.
Broken/faulty G-force indicator in center console.
Loose steering components.
Loose control arms.
Bad shocks.
Improper/mismatched air pressure in tires.
Heavily overloaded with weight shift.
Driving with a strong crosswind forcing you to turn the wheel constantly to keep going straight.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Three idiot lights.. Zero clue what happened

Those are the lights that light up when I installed my switch to disable my traction control.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd first disco the battery or reset with a tool and see if the lights come back. If they don't, it could have just been a fluke. If they do, the first things to suspect are the clock spring and wheel sensors, as stated.

Does your horn still work? If not, then it's obviously the clock spring.

I'd also crawl around and see if there's any visible damage to the wheel speed sensors or wiring. It's possible you scraped the backside of a hub on a rock and rubbed a wire or something like that.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

This happened to me with 600 mile on the odo. Cleared within a few miles. Now at 6000 with no problems. A mechanic explained to me that sometimes the ABS interprets driver input, such as pumping of brakes, as a problem. The three systems are tied together in such that none of it works without the ABS. Thus giving you all three lights. He also said the computer may not store "soft" codes.

Quick Reply: Three idiot lights.. Zero clue what happened