Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

For those running synthetic motor oil...

Old 11-28-2008, 02:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went synth my last change, intend to go on a 5K mile schedule now.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Whenever the oil change light comes on, that works for me.

The engineers who design engines have done enough research to figure out the ECU algorythm to make sure you change it enough.

If you do lots of short trips in cold I would expect the light to come on sooner as the dilution factor gos up.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

I have been using Mobil 1 for years in all my vehicles. I have been doing oil and filter changes at 10k and have never had any issues with any of my vehicles.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

change it when it is dirty.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goldtr8
Whenever the oil change light comes on, that works for me.

The engineers who design engines have done enough research to figure out the ECU algorythm to make sure you change it enough.

If you do lots of short trips in cold I would expect the light to come on sooner as the dilution factor gos up.

And the algorithm is designed to make sure you change the oil enough for dino oil, not synthetics.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I change my moble 1 at about 6k or when the light comes on, which is usually between 5 and 6k.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mobile-1 5W20 and Mobile1 filter every 3K miles. Might be excessive....but I do the same for my Camaro. Just did a heads/cam swap on that car and internals looked brand new after 37K miles........ so I'm keeping with my traditions
Old 11-29-2008, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As we all know, tests have proven synthetic oil to be much better than dino, and some synthetic brands claim anywhere from 12K up to 50K wihtout a change. This is most likely true in a labrotory environment, however out in real world driving there are other factors that come into play. Stop and go driving, which puts more stress on the engine which adds more heat. Short trip driving, which allows more condinsation to remain in the engine, as well as some unburned fuel. Dust and dirt, which ends up in the crankcase. This all adds up to dirty oil. The key to prolonging the life of an engine and to keep it running in top shape, is to keep the internal components of the engine clean, well lubricated, and maintain the operating temperature of the engine within it's specified range.
All 3 of these things are accomplished by a good crankcase oil with the correct specification of weight for the operating range and ambient temperature the engine is operating at Whether it be miniral or synthetic. (I believe in synthetic, due to it's supperior qualities, such as Superior temperature resistance, Better low temperature performance, Lower oil consumption, and Better Engine Protection), however with all this in mind, synthetic oil is not a magic cure-all. Keeping the oil filtered is a must, because even synthetic oil will pick up contaminants and carry them into the engine where they can do damage. Every filter I know of has a bypass valve. Therefore once the filter becomes clogged to the point of exceeding the pressure range of the spring that holds the valve closed, it will allow any debris in the oil to pass through and into the engine, bypassing the media.
Although it is my opinion that Dino oil, if used should be changed every 3K miles, and synthetic oil if used can be run 6K+ miles, the FILTER should be changed at 3K.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorrel
As we all know, tests have proven synthetic oil to be much better than dino, and some synthetic brands claim anywhere from 12K up to 50K wihtout a change. This is most likely true in a labrotory environment, however out in real world driving there are other factors that come into play. Stop and go driving, which puts more stress on the engine which adds more heat. Short trip driving, which allows more condinsation to remain in the engine, as well as some unburned fuel. Dust and dirt, which ends up in the crankcase. This all adds up to dirty oil. The key to prolonging the life of an engine and to keep it running in top shape, is to keep the internal components of the engine clean, well lubricated, and maintain the operating temperature of the engine within it's specified range.
All 3 of these things are accomplished by a good crankcase oil with the correct specification of weight for the operating range and ambient temperature the engine is operating at Whether it be miniral or synthetic. (I believe in synthetic, due to it's supperior qualities, such as Superior temperature resistance, Better low temperature performance, Lower oil consumption, and Better Engine Protection), however with all this in mind, synthetic oil is not a magic cure-all. Keeping the oil filtered is a must, because even synthetic oil will pick up contaminants and carry them into the engine where they can do damage. Every filter I know of has a bypass valve. Therefore once the filter becomes clogged to the point of exceeding the pressure range of the spring that holds the valve closed, it will allow any debris in the oil to pass through and into the engine, bypassing the media.
Although it is my opinion that Dino oil, if used should be changed every 3K miles, and synthetic oil if used can be run 6K+ miles, the FILTER should be changed at 3K.

The manual for the Jeep says 6k for dino oil and oil filter change you only need to change the filter every 6k.. READ YOUR MANUAL!!!!

and in the real world!!!! as I have posted before!!!!!!

the F-body club I use to belong to had their sister club out West do actual testing with both Amisoil and Mobil 1, in a real daily driver 4th gen Camaro, checking level and taking samples for analyzation every 3k. Adding when necessary. During the testing periods they even took the car to a drag strip test and tune night for each oil so the car was not babied. Amsoil was still good and protecting the engine right up to 15K and needed a quart added over the entire period.
Mobil 1 was still good up to 12K and needed 1/2 quart added over the period.

Manufacturers recommended 3K oil changes back in the 50s, and then is was necessary. In the 70s the leap in oil technology especially synthetic was incredible, and since then in the advances have brought top brand dino oils up to the same quality. The only difference is synthetic is more resistant to extreme temperatures and breaks down slower.

For many years I just ignored these threads because I thought if people want to blow their money for no reason, what do I care.

BUT, in a world where oil is becoming in shorter and shorter supply people wasting it through ignorance affects everyone and is irresponsible.

IF you must waste oil at least use a good true PAO synth like Amsoil.

Why, because a true PAO synth does not have to be made from any form of crude oil.
Why most PAO bases still come from petroleum they are the only ones at this time that can be made from non-petroleum bases and therefore it is a technology that by supporting it would benefit everyone in the long run.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

i run Mobil1 and change every 5k

as far as wasting oil, around here (MI) we take it back to the shop for recycling. i just assumed everyone did that

Quick Reply: For those running synthetic motor oil...