Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Thinking about trading up to a 13 Rubi

Old 09-16-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about trading up to a 13 Rubi

We love the '08 Sahara we have, but with the 3.21 gears, it is a dog in the hills...

We were thinking about upgrading to a '13 Rubi, six speed with the 4.1 axles. The ONLY issue is the cost...Jeep wants mid 30's for these and we got the 08 out the door in March of 09 for 26k plus a real nice trade on the Mazda 3 five door. The better ratio axles and the more powerful engine is what we are looking for...our other main vehicle is a '11 Tacoma with a six speed and the 4.0 and it VASTLY out performs the Sahara...3.73 axles no less.

The Tacoma has been back to the dealer once since new for a TSB for free heavier back springs, the Sahara needed upgraded shocks, brakes, front bumper and a rebuilt tranny from the getgo and the wife and I argue on who gets the Taco for trips out of town.

Since we live off the paved road, we need something with good four wheel drive and is reliable for daily driving. The cost of upgrading the axles to rubi specs is awfully expensive.

Howard
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

I have a Rubi and if I was to do it over again I would still get the rubicon.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by That_guy
I have a Rubi and if I was to do it over again I would still get the rubicon.
You are talking about a rubicon as apposed to a sahara so it will automatically be more expensive.Also the prices have gone up on vehicles since 09 and where jeeps are in demand now you will not get too much reductions.But you will not be disappointed with the 13 rubi ,I recomend driving a 12 0r 13 rubi and then make your decision.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Upgrading to deeper gears would surely be cheaper than trading in. Just saying, if you like it other than the fact that it struggles in the hills why not invest 1500 or less in a gear upgrade to give the 3.8 a little more leverage.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

I just traded a 10 Rubicon for a 13. Huge difference in power would be an understatement! Depending on what you owe on the 08, condition and miles you may be very surprised at its private sale value. That may make the 13 more appealing, On the flip side a regear with a rear locker would be < $2500.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hetkind
We love the '08 Sahara we have, but with the 3.21 gears, it is a dog in the hills...

We were thinking about upgrading to a '13 Rubi, six speed with the 4.1 axles.
Unless you're going to get 35s, 3.73 is more than enough gearing for the tires. I'm using the auto so it's likely a tad different, but I still find the gears too low for stock tires... now if I could just afford 35s I'd be happy.

Regearing your 08 would make a massive difference. However that new engine is amazing. I went from an 07 6spd (3.21 gears) to a 12 loaded rubi auto and could not be happier. I took a loss on the 07 and it's still more than worth it.

If you can afford it, I'd do it. The new engine makes highway driving a blast - up hills, down hills, high winds, passing on a whim, etc. Well well worth it.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Septu
Unless you're going to get 35s, 3.73 is more than enough gearing for the tires. I'm using the auto so it's likely a tad different, but I still find the gears too low for stock tires... now if I could just afford 35s I'd be happy.

Regearing your 08 would make a massive difference. However that new engine is amazing. I went from an 07 6spd (3.21 gears) to a 12 loaded rubi auto and could not be happier. I took a loss on the 07 and it's still more than worth it.

If you can afford it, I'd do it. The new engine makes highway driving a blast - up hills, down hills, high winds, passing on a whim, etc. Well well worth it.
I will share this comment with the wife:-)
Old 09-16-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was contemplating doing the same. I have an 08 Rubi with auto tranny, my dealer was going to cut me a deal on a special order Rubi since I didn't want the kind they typically order. I only want a base Rubi, w/dual top. I had no interest in the heated seats, mirrors, nav etc.

Your dealer should be willing to give you a great deal on an order since it's pre-sold and will not effect his inventory and will not cost him money sitting on the lot with associated marketing costs waiting to be sold. If they will not deal, IM me and I'll give you the name of my dealer.

Having said that, the siren song of a paid for 08 Rubi is too strong still and I'm really waiting for the diesel option of the future. Cheers.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As it was said already, regearing could be the ticket for better performance at a fraction of what you are thinking in doing
Old 09-16-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know if a Pentastar engine swap is being done anywhere?

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading up to a 13 Rubi