Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Think I've got a tipm issue

Old 08-27-2018, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I've got a tipm issue

Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out my electrical issues and my google fu seems to lead to most likely a tipm issue or less likely a clock spring issue. Now these could all be unrelated, but they also seem to run through or with tipm or clock spring.

here are my symptoms. Let me know what you guys think.

1) intermittent issues with the wiper blade frequency and speed. Sometimes it's turbo mode or nothing at all, sometimes it's like it's got two left feet and the timing is all over the place. Other times it's just fine. If you turn the switch off when it's bad, it will stay dead on the windshield wherever it was at the time.

2) no horn from pushing the horn button. But the horn works when I hit the lock button or panic. (Factory alarm and aftermarket)

3) traction control turns off and cruise wont work while it's off. It comes back on a few minutes later usually.

4) this one just started. The left rear turn signal / rear park light is out, but the bulb is fine. I can illuminate the bulb with my test light, both elements are fine. No 12v on that wire at all. Traced it back to the center of the jeep and I can shoot 12v in from there and the bulb lights up. Turn signal also flashes quickly like a bulb is dead sometimes, but in a 30 second period it will switch back to normal timing. Yet the bulb never illuminates while any of that is happening. Test light confirmed this.

Relevant jeep specs and notes.

-2008 unlimited x.

-aftermarket compustar alarm and starter (can bus connection)

-4 inch lift.

-high steer kit

-clock spring was replaced 3 years ago under recall. These issues have been happening for about 6 months(could be bad again)

-Just had an alignment and new front hubs done, cruise/ traction control problem stayed after. (could also be something with the rear sensors)

-have driven through water and gone down to moab more than once(I hear that dust can wreak havoc on electrical wiring)

I hate paying the stealership, cant afford that place. these could all be very different issues and end up costing a fortune. But could also just be the tipm or clock spring. All of these things have a control through or around the column.

any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Old 08-31-2018, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horn goes thru the clock spring, the rest is off the multi function switch, which does not.

Have you tried resetting the TIPM? If so, what happened?

You may have a bad wheel sensor, that would explain the TC and cruise control. Clock spring shouldn't trigger a loss of traction control.

have you got a scanner than can read ABS codes? Loss of communication with a sensor will cause a TC issue but not necessarily an ABS light, especially if intermittent.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive had these same issues with my 2013 jk...windshield wiper wipe at random times, cruise turns off, and worst of all i get a “hotoil” light and jeep turns off as i coast down the road. Whn this happens i go to the tipm and knock on it thinking theirs a bad connection somewhere and it starts right up... eventually it got real bad with shutting down. i ended up cleaning all battery connections with wire brush including the positive connection tht feeds the tipm, recconected all connections and havent had an issue since... its been 2 months!!! so relieved... i did at beginning of summer get my engine detailed, not sure if cleaner had been sprayed on connections tht effected it or not. also note verticalvisions.com has excellent guys their tht know alot about tipms, rebuilds and simple fixes. thank you!!!

Quick Reply: Think I've got a tipm issue