Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Things to look at when buying a used JK?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you get the two chipped-keys or be aware of the $$$ cost of a key replacement.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=lost+key

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=lost+key
Old 03-18-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know about the keys, I would have never thought.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should help with locations to look for leaking with the hardtop & softtop!

http://home.comcast.net/~coinvanish/JKLeaks.pdf

Check the undercarriage for trail damage, leaky axles/diffs, check tire wear for any abnormal wear (cupping, etc).
Old 03-18-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

09-10s are less prone to leaking, and whistle.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

So the leaking and whistling can be fixed we getting the new style seals and putting them on a '07-'08 top?

Because of price, I will probably end up with an '07-'08.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience was that my 09 was much worse at leaking, whistling, pretty much everything build quality wise than my 07. Which was a lemon.

I don't think that is a factual statement. Can't speak to the '10s. Never had one.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Galexie64
I'm looking at buying a used unlimited Rubicon auto and was trying to find out what I need to look for. I couldn't find an existing thread on this so if there is one can someone guide to to it.

I'm looking for a used '07-'09 Rubicon Unlimited w/ Auto and freedom top. I figured the first thing I should look into is making sure all the recalls have been done. I didn't know what else to look for.

-any motor problems to look for?
-any other drivetrain problems?
-spots prone to rust?
-stuff common to break?
-etc.

Thanks, Chris
Hey Chris - JP Magazine did a great article on what to look for when buying a used Jeep. I think it was the April edition but not sure...I'll take a look at it and edit this post with the exact month. Good Luck!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Crawl underneath it for a good look. The condition there can speak volumes about the way it has been treated.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
My experience was that my 09 was much worse at leaking, whistling, pretty much everything build quality wise than my 07. Which was a lemon.

I don't think that is a factual statement. Can't speak to the '10s. Never had one.
strange, because all the "fixes" came out in 09. never had any issues with either of our 09 wranglers.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Dont get yourself so caught up in leaks. It's a Jeep and used. If the water is leaking like niagara falls then that is an issue. If you have slight drip who cares. It is a Jeep.

I've owned several Wrangler and CJ's and around the month of May my top comes off and I run a bikini until fall. When it rains its like being on a boat. A little over spray is all good.

My suggestion to you is drive several of them. Possibly even stick and auto.

Make sure the steering feels tight and responsive. Hit some slight bumps at 20 plus mph and make sure nothing feels loose. (You will know)

Make sure the tranny shifts good.
Listen at the exhaust manifolds after a cold (first start up) and make sure there are no gasket leaks.

Corrosion? Warranty for 5 years 100K. Slight rust color on the door hinge can be spotted on lighter colored vehicles. No big deal.

Engage the 4wd and drive in both high and low range. A little bit of binding when shifting in and out of 4wd can be expected. Not all the time but sometimes.

On a rubicon make sure the most important things work. Lockers and sway bar. If you dont know how to engage them read up on it and make sure they work before you leave the dealer.

Check the cruise, a/c and other electricals. Fog lights etc.

That is about it.

After you buy it, on your way home get it dirty, park in driveway, leave radio on and have a cold

Quick Reply: Things to look at when buying a used JK?