Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Things to look at when buying a used JK?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to look at when buying a used JK?

I'm looking at buying a used unlimited Rubicon auto and was trying to find out what I need to look for. I couldn't find an existing thread on this so if there is one can someone guide to to it.

I'm looking for a used '07-'09 Rubicon Unlimited w/ Auto and freedom top. I figured the first thing I should look into is making sure all the recalls have been done. I didn't know what else to look for.

-any motor problems to look for?
-any other drivetrain problems?
-spots prone to rust?
-stuff common to break?
-etc.

Thanks, Chris
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Galexie64
I'm looking at buying a used unlimited Rubicon auto and was trying to find out what I need to look for. I couldn't find an existing thread on this so if there is one can someone guide to to it.

I'm looking for a used '07-'09 Rubicon Unlimited w/ Auto and freedom top. I figured the first thing I should look into is making sure all the recalls have been done. I didn't know what else to look for.

-spots prone to rust?
-stuff common to break?
-etc.

Thanks, Chris
Most importantly I'd check for leaks. Check for the common door handle leak and check for water between the freedom top panels. I just bought my 07 JK used about a month ago and learned the hard way about leakage. Somebody more experienced about hard tops should be able to be more specific as I have a soft top, but I've heard the door handle leak happens to both. Take a water hose to the top before you buy it for sure!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for one with a warranty. They are transferrable and are good for 3 years 36K.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Careful with the Tranny, check my thread on transmission shudder... its been real fun and now we have an attourney involved...
Old 03-17-2010, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Try this:

"jpmagazine.com/featuredvehicles/154_1001_2007_2010_jeep_wrangler_jk_buyers_guide/index.html"]jpmagazine.com/featuredvehicles/154_1001_2007_2010_jeep_wrangler_jk_buyers_guide/index.html

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-17-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Please refrain from posting direct links to companies who are not sponsors of Project-JK.com.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Galexie64

-spots prone to rust?
-stuff common to break?
There have been a progressive amount of changes to the builds to address leaking issues. Alot of these are locations of foam tape. Things to look for.

- Call Jeep with the VIN to see if there is an extended warrenty attached to the vehicle, you never know. They should also tell you if that vehicle has has the recall's completed.

- Check under floor mats for dampness, any moisture indicates potential issues (unless you are in an area with a bunch of snow and slush). There is a water leak manual thread that will point you to some fixes that may be required if you have an older 08 or 09 build date.

- Check the rear subwoofer bracket near the tailgate for rust of the rear storage box for moisture, both of these may indicate a leak around the real seals. Newer JK's have some foam tape along the upper corners of the tailgate, old ones do not.

- Watch out for very very soft plastics on the 07's.

- If you are considering integrated remote start, forget the 07's.

- The center weatherstrip on the freedom tops has been redesigned, the new ones are much better. If you get an old 07 or 08 you may want to consider getting the latest version. It is very simple to replace.

- Old 07's and 08's had different freedom panel front clamps, the newer ones put some more pressure on the header weatherstrip, this was addressed in the wind/ water leak TSB's about the header if your used still has warrenty.

- Any soft top built before March 9th, 2009 will require the new redesigned header reinforcement. The new one is steel and the old one was plastic, it will end up warping causing issues. The part is ~$250 but is covered by warrenty if you have wind noise issues.

- 07's do not have TPMS, in case you wanted it for some reason.

- You might benefit from looking under the JK, look for signs of off-road adventures and make your offer accordingly.

All I can think of now. . . . enjoy!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Something I check for is original glass with the Chrysler logo on it. I've seen so many body shops use aftermarket glass, meaning it may of been in an accident (Front windshields are sorta prone to cracks). Also look for paint imperfections and any primer in hard to reach places. All other things suggested above are good, too!

Good Luck -
Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure the engine is OK, by comparing it to a nearby minivan!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol gatta love the mini van power!

Quick Reply: Things to look at when buying a used JK?