Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Test drove a rubicon and have a ?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove a rubicon and have a ?

Hi,

So I took a Rubicon that im considering buying on a test drive the other day. It has 21k miles on it. It dove beautifully in 2wd, 4 hi and 4 lo. While I was in 4lo I wanted to make sure the lockers and sway bar disconnect worked. I was in a stopped position and engaged the rear locker. The light just flashed and kept flashing. I pushed it again to lock the front. The front locked and the light stayed solid. I hit the sway bar disconnect and the light just flashed and kept flashing. My question is if it is normal for the locker and sway bar disconnect light to flash. I talked to someone I know and they said that I had to pull forward a little and the rear probably would have locked (they said that the gear in the diff had to reach a certain position so that it could lock)....Is this true? Im new to this so any help would be appreciated before I make a purchase.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

it should all be under warranty regarless of if it works.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont have a Rubi.. but I would assume your friend is correct....

Id still take it for another spin and try to get them to lock.. dont want to buy someone elses problem.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that sounds right. You have to get the gears in just the right spot. Don't do any of the above on pavement or you going to learn an expensive lesson. Especially if you turn the wheel.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie

they take a sec to lock and release, same with the sway bar. You get use to the timeing. click the lockers and sometimes if the teeth are lines up the lockers will engage immediatly but if it is out of alignment it may take a revolution or two to engage and the same with the swaybar, if there is some pressure on it she wont release so just drive forward or backward and it will release.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by john smack
they take a sec to lock and release, same with the sway bar. You get use to the timeing. click the lockers and sometimes if the teeth are lines up the lockers will engage immediatly but if it is out of alignment it may take a revolution or two to engage and the same with the swaybar, if there is some pressure on it she wont release so just drive forward or backward and it will release.
Yep. Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

To get the e-swaybar to connect or disconnect while not moving, you can try rocking the vehicle back and forth left to right until you hear it click.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like mentioned the sway bar might not unlock as soon as you hit the button. Its really a 50/50 chance. If it doesnt unlock you can drive like 10mph and swerve back and forth to try and get it to unlock. I just stay stopped and try to rock the jeep from inside, or just get out and rock it. Will hear it unlock then. For the lockers try and drive foward or back, dont matter. They should engage. Same thing if they wont disengage. Just drive foward or back a lil bit.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

Mine does exactly what you described...until they lock and disconnect. I believe the manual says something about shifting into 4LO @ 2-3 MPH while coasting in neutral. Then hit your switches! Sounds all good, but like the others said, try it again to verify!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Mine does the same thing... You just have to have the gears align before the locker will actually engage. I've found the sway bar takes even longer to disengage, especially if you're not parked on a level surface. Just my observations!

Quick Reply: Test drove a rubicon and have a ?