Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Temporary Dog Solution

Old 03-23-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chop. I'm sure your dog is very obedient but obedience is never 100%. It just isn't. At some point a dog's instinct will tear the obedience walls down. Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

I like that craftmanship of this and that fact that you are trying to make it safe for your dog, a couple months ago I saw a dog fall out of a flat bed of a truck and get ran over instantly. But I really am not to sure if I like this idea. to have that kind of netting could be just as dangerous for a dog as having nothing at all. It would be far to easy for a dog to get wrapped up in that. Not just for the dog but if it were to happen while you are driving then it would be an accident waiting to happen.

I saw a post on here once upon a time. the person toke out the back seat and anchored a length of webbing under the seat and then put the seat back on. This webbing allowed him to attach his dog to a length of rope that was just long enough that he could move around and not jump out and was alot less likley to get tangled up in it.

I really had a laugh though at the idea of hanging ropes of the top of the role bars and suspending a dog by a harness so it looks like he is flying the jeep. Obviously not serious but a video of that would be a hit.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is an interesting set-up you got there.

I just use a doggy harness for my Pitbull and it works well enough. Although, he won't get out of a vehicle if I tell him to stay... well, unless someone tries to get in the jeep if I am not around. Then, they are on their own. He is the best theft deterrent I got. Even if he is just a nipper and won't bite.

Although, I have thought about a net just to make sure he can't get out. Still, the doggy harness (really just a seat belt for dogs) works really well for him. Besides, he just wants to go for a ride and can be a pain if I didn't take him out long enough. For some reason he has a time limit and if he doesn't reach it, he refuses to get out of the Jeep. *laughs*

Last edited by Catzilla; 03-23-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Heidi rides with a harness (Clix) locked to a seatbelt extender and then with a caribiner to the mount point of the rear seat (removed). Ruff Rider has been off the map for 2-3 months now but I just received an e-mail that they are back in business. The concept of the Rough Rider is superior in that it is seamless with no plastic connections to break in an accident. I still need a net like the raingler as Heidi has already figured out in the week I have had the top off, she can stand on the wheel well inside the tub and get higher (her head almost hits the cage bar above!). She's so long I am afraid she could flip out and land against the rear wheel. She also has been heavily trained but you just never know. I always keep her tethered in the jeep when alone but I try to maintain eye contact with the vehicle if at all possible. Rotten world out there! Oh and where I go she goes!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a harness for my pup but not happy with the setup of it. With no seat in the back I was hooking it to the roll bar and could see him swinging out of it. My dog is a ~90lb Chocolate Lab and can be kind of a spazz. If he saw a deer along side the road there's a good chance he would try to jump out. I'm still going to research better ideas but this will work in the interim. I'll either find or design something better! Glad you all liked it. I'm also looking into some of the other ideas suggested in this thread.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
what is the difference between that and alone in the Jeep to each their own, but I just don't get it.
the jeep ride to the store
Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 AM
c90dan

I just installed a divider net I got on Ebay for $76. The company is Dirty Dog 4x4 in Canada. It's very nice quality and easy to install/remove. dirtydog4x4.com

Dogs aint happy.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

I just need a way to keep the dogs in with the doors off and the seats folded down.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

Just received my ruffrider harness yesterday. Very nice, very well put together. It is so heavy built it is mil-spec. The Clix harness was very soft and did not look to me to be up to holding the dog during a collision. Ruff Rider rep. was extremely apologetic for failing to fill my order before their "reorganization" but all that was forgotten when I saw the quality of the product.

The only drawback I see is it is very stiff due to the strength of the webbing. Heidi has ALOT of hair so that acts as natural padding and she seems to be comfortable in it. A doberman would possibly be less comfortable. No fasteners to break in a collision so I feel a lot more secure. I recommend this for big dogs.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by gryph0n
I just need a way to keep the dogs in with the doors off and the seats folded down.
cop4x4's coming out with some netting, hopefully the price is right. I need something to hold our 3 huskys in my Jeep too..

Quick Reply: Temporary Dog Solution