Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Temporary Dog Solution

Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temporary Dog Solution

Well, I ordered the Smitty Bilt CRES system. Seems it's still in test and development and won't actually be on the market until late Summer. Raingler is way too proud of their product for me to buy right now. Went to Pep Boys and picked up two cargo nets that were $19 apiece.

Stretched them horizontally from the front roll bar around to the back and hooked them together with zip ties. Had extra in the middle so cut out most of that and tied the rest together. I also picked up two sets of the blue cargo hooks used to hold down luggage racks. Dipped them into Plasti-Dip to protect my paint and used them to hook into the side rails along the tub. Also put one in the back middle that hooks into the little square hole at the base of the third brake light. Picture doesn't how the hooks cause they were hanging up drying at the time. I just used the plastic hooks that came with the nets temporarily. If anyone is interested, as soon as the weather gets better again in a few days I'll get the top off and put the net back on with the hooks.

My dog can still stick his head through the squares and look around but he shouldn't be able to get out of the back. Now I need to get something between the front seats. Will probably buy one more net and string it between the seats.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 AM
JK Freak

I like it!! I thought about doing something like this too because I am just not willing to pay for those Raingler nets when I don't think they even fit nicely. My dogs could probably just slip under them

Nicely done!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put one of these cargo nets behind the rear seats to keep my boxer from pouncing on the kids. wrapped it around the bar and hooked it to the loops on the seat back bottom, cheap way out and it works BUUUT.... on the first or second day we left the dog in the back while doing an errand. when we got back in the jeep he was mysteriously sitting in the back seat. He was shaking but looked fine... hmmm, upon further review, he came through the net and it got tangled around his hind quarters. he was basically stuck to the seat by the net. it was kind of funny because he didn't get hurt, but he easily could have had the circulation cut off to a limb or been choked out.. not good and something to think about. I still have it in the jeep, I think he learned his lesson (rare for a boxer). I agree the raingler stuff is way overpriced.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Default Nice job!

That really looks nice! I had a complete set of the nets you mentioned for my '04 Sahara. After installing and taking off a few times, I sold them. I didn't care for the look or the fit.

What you've done is creative and I think it looks GREAT!

k s too!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I think the issue is you shouldn't leave the damn dog in the Jeep unattended OP that is a great idea
Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoopa70
I put one of these cargo nets behind the rear seats to keep my boxer from pouncing on the kids. wrapped it around the bar and hooked it to the loops on the seat back bottom, cheap way out and it works BUUUT.... on the first or second day we left the dog in the back while doing an errand. when we got back in the jeep he was mysteriously sitting in the back seat. He was shaking but looked fine... hmmm, upon further review, he came through the net and it got tangled around his hind quarters. he was basically stuck to the seat by the net. it was kind of funny because he didn't get hurt, but he easily could have had the circulation cut off to a limb or been choked out.. not good and something to think about. I still have it in the jeep, I think he learned his lesson (rare for a boxer). I agree the raingler stuff is way overpriced.
well I think the issue is you shouldn't leave the damn dog in the Jeep unattended OP that is a great idea
Old 03-23-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have raingler nets myself, and they are expensive. You might take a look at safaristraps.com, they make nets just like raingler but they are a bit less expensive.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make you an invisible fence in 12 volt.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
well I think the issue is you shouldn't leave the damn dog in the Jeep unattended :
sorry dad, i was just pointing out that shit happens. Your right though, I should leave him home bored silly in his crate whenever i want to take a ride and do something
Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

i was thinking about getting mine a harness and tying his lease to the rollcage so he can swing like superman!

Quick Reply: Temporary Dog Solution