Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Taking the doors off.....

Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the doors off.....

Any first time "door remover's" experience any type of rusting or damage to the hinges after removing the doors? Even a year or so after doing so? I've had my Jeep for 2 years and still haven't attempted taking the doors off yet. Would really like to make it happen this summer...
Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 PM
JK Junkie

Nah take um off and be glad that you only have two to lift off and store us 4 door's take up all the room in the garage with the hardtop and doors for the summer.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpizzle10
Any first time "door remover's" experience any type of rusting or damage to the hinges after removing the doors? Even a year or so after doing so? I've had my Jeep for 2 years and still haven't attempted taking the doors off yet. Would really like to make it happen this summer...
attempt to not scratch up the paint on the hinges with the door. mine are now bedlined for a reason
Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 PM
JK Freak

I have had mine off twice, on my 2011, so far, they come right on and off,

used some grease on them the first time, when I put them back on,

just dont drop em,
and don't have a shirt with zippers or metal buttons on the front.

I find them ok to lift, but the bottom hand gets to feel the pain of that 95 lbs. digging in.

dont let someone else try to help line them up i got scratches on my hinges from that, easy enough to line up alone...
i put a mat down in case i need to set it down, when taking the door on or off.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing to it . I use a SMALL amount of never sieze on the hinge pin. So the next time you take the doors off it will slide off easy. Just try not to get it everywere. Once you have the doors off you wont want to put them back on . See what I mean??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0612111250.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	171330  
Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 AM
JK Newbie

Mine were seized solid when I tried to take them off. Use some penetrating oil if you want but for me it came down to getting out the jack and using that to apply enough force to them to pop em loose.

Highlift jack + piece of wood (spread the load so you don't buckle the door) + go slow and have help in case they pop right off = easy door removal

Once they're off clean the pins and use grease on em when you reinstall them...will come off easy every time after that.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

I can't imagine going 2 years without taking the doors off! I've only had my JK since February and I bet the doors have been off 3 weeks of that time.

Like the others have said, taking them off is really quite simple. Just make sure you don't have anything that can scratch the paint as you are carrying (ie. metal buttons, belt loop, keys in your pocket, etc). Slap some white lithium grease on the pins while they are off. Make sure you look at your states mirror laws as well. I run a Harley mirror in my top hinge on the drivers side only.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys! I'll be trying it real soon!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Once they come off, you'll want em off as often as possible. Like others have said, use some petro in the hinges the first time and enjoy!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

I have had mine on and off 50 times on my 2011. They stick pretty good the first time getting them off. I just put a bit of grease on them and it's cake now. I always roll the window down, grab the window frame with my hand and shoulder, then use the other hand to line up the hinges. That's the best way I have found so far that doesn't dent or scratch paint.

Quick Reply: Taking the doors off.....