Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Take the deal or Lemon law ?

Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i would take the deal

when you figure out mileage and other things they deduct for, i would probably jump on that deal, then go to a credit union and get real low interest
Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The soft tops are the same on the '12s as they are on the 11's. For certain people (you) they are always going to leak.
Maybe you should see if they will sell you a hard top at cost, or go & buy a Toyota FJ.
You are never going to be happy in a Wrangler.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by uneasy rider
the soft tops are the same on the '12s as they are on the 11's. For certain people (you) they are always going to leak.
Maybe you should see if they will sell you a hard top at cost, or go & buy a toyota fj.
You are never going to be happy in a wrangler.
Wow
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Uneasy Rider
The soft tops are the same on the '12s as they are on the 11's. For certain people (you) they are always going to leak.
Maybe you should see if they will sell you a hard top at cost, or go & buy a Toyota FJ.
You are never going to be happy in a Wrangler.
Damn, would you like some urine on your corn flakes? Wait, check that, seems that has been taken care of already.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would take the '12, wranglers are going to leak though, it's unavoidable once you start taking doors/tops off, its hard to get everything to line up just right. However, I can tolerate little leaks here and there, I just grab a rag and dry stuff off. If my passat leaked down the passenger B pillar, that would be a different story though.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would take the 2012 in a second. You are destined to have engine problems down the road with the 3.8. I sold my 07 and have a 2012 on order. My 07 soft top leaked like crazy. The Chrysler rep got involved and they eventually told me there was nothing they could do for me. I fought the leaks from day one. At least they are willing to work for you. I got nothing out of them. The bad water leaks were not acceptable for me. Every time it rained, my seats and my pant legs would get soaking wet. It was very annoying. It was the leaking top and the new Pentastar engine that made my go for the 2012. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would not take first deal they offer you. It is in the best interest of Jeep to not have the vehicle branded as a lemon. A vehicle has a higher resale value if they take it back before it is declared a lemon.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Default Never happy in a wrangler (me)

Owned an 80 cj5 and a 91 yj, 15-20 minutes of rain never soaked the floor, dash and door panels like the brand new one. A little drip here and there is fine, expected even, but not this.

I guess I really need to know if a lemon law trade is really zero cost or if there are extra fees (tax,title, ect.). Really dont want to drag in lawyers but Chrysler will not do an even trade and let me keep my zero percent loan.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

I was thinking about this more the other day after I posted...

The reason they are not letting you keep 0% is because, like mentioned above, they are avoiding the lemon tag. If the dealer takes the '11 and gives you a '12, it's essentially a trade, they (being the dealer and perhaps Chrysler under the table) eat the negative equity and difference in cost of a '12, and can resell the vehicle to some other poor schmuck. Since it would then be a new purchase and they can't force the lending company to give you 0%, you get whatever the going rate it, based on your credit and current incentives. As far as TTT, you will have to see if they will be absorbing these costs. I would certainly expect them to do so.

Look at it this way.. if - and big if here - you were to win arbitration for the leaky top, they would be forced to replace the vehicle or buy it back. Once it gets to this point, they just assume buy it back. So you would get a check for any downpayment, any loan payments, any maintenance, and any insurance you have paid so far. Essentially, the only thing they didn't cover was gas and aftermarket upgrades (you can swap back bolts-ons yourself if you have the original parts). You will have to run the numbers to see how much that is, but for me it was around $4500. I got a check, they got the car, and we parted ways on the entire deal.

The alternative that they seem to be proposing is that they will eat the difference in what you owe on the '11 and the cost of a '12. They get to avoid arbitration and the lemon tag and will probably send it to auction. So they will also eat the difference of what you owe and what the Jeep auctions for. The downside, like you mention, is the interest. You can try to refi elsewhere at a lower rate but there are a lot of unknown variables here.

So if you go lemon law, win, and get say $5000 back, you have no Jeep and buy something new, maybe a '12 or something else? You will still be paying interest unless you wait it out or find another manufacturer that does offer it right now.

If you just swap, they are probably eating more than $5K, you are getting a newer JK, but you still have to pay interest.

Either way you pay interest. I say take the deal and see if they will cover TTT and cough up a little cash or some Mopar goodies for your troubles.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Default I was thinking...

You sound just like the lawyer I just talked to.
He said, "I really should be telling you that I'll take your case but the dealer offer sounds
better than we might be able to get you".
I'll be back at the dealer tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Take the deal or Lemon law ?