Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

tailgate rattle

Old 05-10-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tailgate rattle

I have 5000 miles on my 2dr rubicon. This rattle just started. Its not the glass on the hard top, it's the weight of the spare tire flexing the tailgate after every small bump in the road. Its driving me nuts. If I push on the spare Ican replicate the sound. Everything is tight (lug nuts, door seal) it just seems that the tires weight shifts the tailgate in a little bit against the rubber door seal. I even put some lube on the seal and it didn't make a difference. this just started so for 5000 miles its been fine, so something has to be able to fix it. Please help
Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this on my four door and just took off the spare and put it back on to find that it stopped. Just a solution that worked for me. Does it sound like a loose license plate holder does when you close a hatchback with the plate on the door itself?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've noticed a noise coming from back there lately too. It sounds like the same kind that the doors made until I relocated the door catches. Noise is gone with them now. I'll have to check later to see if the catch needs adjusting back there.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:36 AM
Former Member

Check and make sure the 3 nuts are tight that hold the tire on.
That solved it for me
Old 05-14-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

door Latches ... Happened to me fixed in 10 min... adjust the latch // just 2 screws ..
Old 05-14-2008, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have experienced this problem also. I found that the tailgate alignment guide was rattling against the mating piece on the jamb. I just removed the piece from the tailgate... No more annoying rattle.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

here is an old tread I found... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11137:)

Quick Reply: tailgate rattle