Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tailgate Clunk-Related Question

Old 09-24-2012, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tailgate Clunk-Related Question

Hey folks,

I know this issue has been brought up several times through other threads, so forgive me. My 12 jk has been experiencing the clunk-ish knocking over bumps and turns. It is the tailgate. I took the spare off and the jack out and test drove it to eliminate them first.

I followed the advice of some of you fine folks with the electrical tape (and I also read in another forum about using Chapstick on the latch and gate mechanism) and it really has helped. It is still there, but not as constant. Would it be at all possible for anyone who has adjusted the actual tailgate mechanism to send me a photo of what exactly you did?

This is my 4th jk since 08. The previous three had leaking issues, so this issue isn't as irritating (and my 2 yr old doesn't need a raincoat riding inside my jeep anymore) which is good.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-27-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

About every 2-3 months I've had to remove the spare tire and readjust the striker on the body. Here is what I do. I remove the tire and slightly loosen the striker. I close the tailgate and test drive over various speed bumps until I no longer hear the noise. I tighten the striker bolts. ( TORX). I remount the spare and test drive over the same speed bumps. I had this problem with my 2009 Jeep. I now own a 2012 with the same problems. I did notice that the 2007 on tailgates are a lighter weight material. Just with a 225-75-16 is a lot of weight on these tailgates. I spoke to several mechanics at my dealership and they have sent this info to Jeep.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Yes thanks. I forgot to mention that I readjusted the latch previous to this. The electrical tape works great, but I have a hard time coping with the fact that a $26k vehicle needs tape to make it less noisy.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just loosened the striker and move it inboard until the tailgate closed nice and snug. From the factory mine was about 1/16" too far outboard. Tailgate didn't line up flush with body.

I also adjusted that plastic guide puck thing. Same trial and error method as above.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

yo_marc,

where is the "plastic guide puck thing" you mentioned? That may be what I need to adjust also.

thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry for the bad description.

I dont have a picture handy, but it's mounted on the body of the JK - just below the striker if I remember right. The tailgate door has a "Y" shaped metal bracket that acts as a receiver. I think the purpose of the two are to guide the tailgate into the correct position when it's closed (to account for weak/worn/failing/sagging tailgate hinges).

I really just did some trial and error with the two.. Didn't have to adjust the latch mechanism within the tailgate.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

No...not a bad description. I figured that's what you were talking about. What tool(s) can I use to adjust this part? I'm not mechanically inclined. Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got sick of those noises and fixing my tailgate every 2 months and decided to buy the teraflex hinged carrier. Problem solved.. Not a peep and door is solid as a rock. Worth the money if your going to keep a jeep
Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepymagoo
No...not a bad description. I figured that's what you were talking about. What tool(s) can I use to adjust this part? I'm not mechanically inclined. Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.
No problem

It was a pretty simple procedure. For the striker, I think it was a decent sized torx drive. I honestly dont remember the number; but if I had to guess, it was about the same sized torx as you see up around the windshield area of the JK.

For that funny black plastic guide - I want to say it was 12 or 13mm hex head bolts.

For either case - the striker or the plastic guide, I just loosened the securing hardware a turn or two - just enough to adjust the striker or guide, then tightened them down snug. No need for any major disassembly.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

My top hinge was shot. Bought the Teraflex carrier. Solid as a rock now!!!!

Quick Reply: Tailgate Clunk-Related Question