Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

tail light lens

Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail light lens

going nuts tring to find a new lens for the wifes jk 4 dr she backed into a garbage can went to dealer only can get a whole replacement housing over a 100 bones went to body supply house that carries out of country nock offs no jk lens looked on line. now I know with the jk being out close to 3 years and all the colition reapairs from winter bumper benders their must be a better option then th whole housing anyone know of any????
Old 03-26-2009, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have your local salvage yard run it online.....:d
Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Only $100, you should just buy it.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

I know I should just buck up and get it I have 4 jeeps and though they say tj was a different lens I broke one on the escalator in moab bought a cj lens bolted it up and it woked just fine If it wasn't the wifes I would put on corners and l.e.d.'s but she wont let me it was a job to get her her to let put 4" lift 35" tires and terra bumpers. I just hate getting gouged by the factory for a part you know that cost at most $2.50 to produce I understand they have to have a margin of profit but not 360% and I dont need the whole housing just a lens but this is just a indication of what is wrong with detroit you know with all the fender benders out there and jeeps actually being used off road, lens are a quite common break but jeep doesn't offer a lens in my 15 years of jeeping I have broken several lenses but only one housing and then I went to a countersunk l.e.d. because I didn't want to have to do it again I was hopefull someone knew of part distributer I hadn't tried good Idea to have the wrecking yard give it a look see online but I bet their scrace there also body shops scarffing them up.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's an option.......if you wanna spend $380
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55213_090X_PG.htm
Old 03-26-2009, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Possible solution

You might try car-parts .com It's becoming a good resource.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

thanks I'll give them a try and thanks for letting me stand on a soap box and rant.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's always ebay, but then you'll have to wait for your part to be listed.

You could call a few other dealerships, and see what price they'll get it for ya (Maybe even call some Jeep Dealerships who sell on ebay... I've found they tend to have great prices)

You could try an auto-body shop, see if they have a way to re-sell you a part from one of their suppliers

You could try local salvage yards... some will go out of their way to find the part for you

Or, you could be very dishonest, send your drunk friend to a dealership after hours and have him "trade" the bad one out... (JUST KIDDING)

Or you could convince somebody to swap out their taillamps for some nice LED ones and buy their spare parts off them...

I think in any case, you're going to be spending some good money to fix it right. The JK is still new enough that everybody and their mother can get away with jacking up the prices on parts...
Old 03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lens does NOT come off, at least on the 07. It's all one piece, I think epoxied together. The screws toward the outside of the light are purely cosmetic. That's why its so much for a new one but it's a good idea to do junk yard search online, but you may still pay about 50-75 for it.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

List price on the taillights is indeed over $100. However, the wholesale pricing is around $85. Perhaps if you bought the car from that same dealer you could get them to haggle.

You know...the "I spent $XX dollars on a jeep here and ..." line.

Quick Reply: tail light lens