Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

T-case zip tie trick

Old 01-25-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-case zip tie trick

Regarding the quick fix to help in the event the cheap plastic connector fails, I'm curious how you guys were able to reach the t-case shift lever under your jeeps and install a zip tie? Either my hands are too big or I'm going about it the wrong way I want to get this done before an upcoming ski trip where I anticipate using the 4wd alot. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

I'm curious too. I guess it wouldnt hurt to know how to fix it if the damn thing breaks on me.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

It is quite easy to reach but you have to drop the skid. I had to do this last summer at the great lakes event after playing in the mud.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it was a while ago but I think I remember: First, I dropped the skid plate (I was changing the t-case oil at the time). I used a flashlight to see what was going on while wedging my head in and around (safety glasses very helpful here). I started the loop of the zip-tie first, then I just lay back, reached up and attached the zip-tie by feel.

This was all done with the jeep sitting on all four wheels (not jacked up) in my driveway. Probably easier if you have access to a lift.

Quick Reply: T-case zip tie trick