Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

synthetic oil thoughts

Old 10-19-2012, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my rainx wiper blades at walmart... I bet they aren't as good as the same blades from autozone
Old 10-19-2012, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some of the label that say to return your used oil to Walmart.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valvo.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	380083Click image for larger version

Name:	Castrol.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	380084

It's not a huge logo, it's really just a sentence at the bottom reminding you. Their new Galactic Empire inspired logo is more understated.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the M1 at BJ's have a BJ's logo on it? I'd be concerned about buying oil that cheap when it's normally sold for much more at auto parts stores. What?
I prefer to pay high prices for the same product to guarantee its quality!
LOL
Originally Posted by Flip94ta
I've had a couple economics classes and I completely understand buying power. When I see the walmart logo on that container I think it's diluted enough to just meet the minimum standard. I'm not saying Mobil is being deceptive, I'm just thinking you could take away excess quality from regular M1 and still meet all the manufacturers specs on the bottle and sell it to Walmart at a lower price point. I'd love to see a break down of the ingredients like folks have done for the Regular and EP as well as Platinum and Ultimate.

I'm headed to the garage to put five quarts of M1 in my wife's ride right now. I don't believe in burning money so no I didn't pay $9 a quart. I got case of 6 at BJ's for $27 with a coupon. We'll agree to disagree for now.

Last edited by lanslide; 10-19-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

been using synthetic in all my Jeeps since 04, NO problems to date will change over in the JK when my 6yrs of free oil changes stop's in 2018
Old 10-19-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Pete1971
been using synthetic in all my Jeeps since 04, NO problems to date will change over in the JK when my 6yrs of free oil changes stop's in 2018
I never understood how the dealerships could or would offer free oil changes for that long. Somehow you paid for that?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just can't trust the guys they hire to change oil and rotate tires to do a proper job. To me - it's worth $35 twice a year for me to do it myself.
Originally Posted by Pete1971
Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
Well if it's got a Walmart label on the can its the cut rate shat.

I think it's actually pure Druidian air that's diluted with LA smog.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HogHoden
Here are some of the label that say to return your used oil to Walmart.
Attachment 380083Attachment 380084

It's not a huge logo, it's really just a sentence at the bottom reminding you. Their new Galactic Empire inspired logo is more understated.
Damn sneaky, those Galactic Empire stormtroopers. I buy all my oil at Walmart and I never noticed that logo before.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

The reasons WM is so cheap is because they buy in huge astronomical amounts, they have their own warehouses/distribution centers, and they transport the products themselves. I believe there are certain items that are manufactured exclusively for WM (some Good Year tires come to mind), but most everything else there is no different than anywhere else.

Found this in the garage. Apparently Autozone marks their oil as well.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HogHoden
On another note, I just went by my dealership to pickup some gear oil to do my rear diff. Guy behind the counter asks one of the techs sitting down eating lunch what weight a '12 Rubicon takes and how much. He tells him it's the 75W-140 (synthetic) and I'll need 3 bottles, because depending on what axle it has, It might take 2.25. .
Then Chrysler changed the specfications for 2012. My 08 Rubi requires the 75w-140 synthetic in the rear the normal stuff for the front. Also my 09 X unlimited with the towing package requires the synthetic for the rear.

I use mobile 1 per the proper weights in the rear and mobile 1 in the front as it does make a difference in the differential locking that I have noticed. So I suggest that you recheck your manual.

Cheers
Don

Quick Reply: synthetic oil thoughts