Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

synthetic oil thoughts

Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I switched to synthetic oil at 3000miles, I went ahead and changed my gear oil to synthetic as well
Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would strongly caution just going to Walmart and buying some oil. There is a huge difference between a type 3, type 4, and type 5 synthetic oil and the amount of engine protecting additives are vastly different. Just because it says synthetic on the bottle and the weight you want doesnt mean you should pour it into your engine and use it if you want the best protection. I use motul type 5 ester based oil with super high amounts of moly in it. After racing motorcycles for many years I found motul and have never looked back. I find it a superior product to all of the others I have tried.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ylojelo
What is this MS-6395 you speak of? And what if you change you own oil (easy since there are no factory lube points to hit), how do you show that for the warranty? i will still change the filter every 3k
I save my receipts and keep a log book in the glove compartment. That is what my dealer recommended to show proof I performed the necessary oil changes.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ylojelo
What is this MS-6395 you speak of? And what if you change you own oil (easy since there are no factory lube points to hit), how do you show that for the warranty? i will still change the filter every 3k
MS-6395 is Chrysler's specification for lubricants. I can't find an internet reference to it, but I don't think that it's that off-the-wall because most conventional oils meet it. In fact, I think Mobil1 also used to meet it, but, at least according to Mobil1, Chrysler changed something with it that requires multi-season testing which Mobil1 has yet to perform. A QandA link on Mobil1's site from 2/15/12 indicates just that. (Note that the date of the post isn't on the post itself -- rather, to find the date, you have to click the "Chrysler" link in the left-hand menu and then all posts with Chrysler in them are displayed, and it's dated 2/15/12 in that list).

Mobil 1 | Chrysler MS-6395 Specification

It's not that I don't think that Mobil1 meets MS-6395. I'm pretty confident that it does because many lesser oils meet it. My only concern is if I ever need warranty work on the motor and I'm asked to to demonstrate that I actually did change the oil according to the recommended interval and used a MS-6395 spec oil.

Others can chime in with more detail, but I've always operated under the rule that as long as I log the oil changes (which I can actually do on the Jeep owner's site, too) and save the receipts for the oil/filter purchases, I'm golden.

If I were to use Mobil1, I'm concerned that Chrysler might put up a fight with me and argue against any warranty work because the Mobil1 isn't technically MS-6395 certified.

It seems like Chrysler is playing it's cards very close to the vest on this Pentastar head problem. It's been argued that Chrysler is denying and dragging their feet on the issue in an attempt to spread out the replacements because the problem is more widespread than Chrysler is willing to admit and to avoid replacing all the bad heads in a recall, because that'd cost them a fortune.

Whether there's any merit to that argument I certainly can't say, but if that is the case, then I would expect a fight to get any warranty service done on the head and I will not give Chrysler ammo to use against me.

Last edited by Gort; 10-18-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dognights
I would strongly caution just going to Walmart and buying some oil. There is a huge difference between a type 3, type 4, and type 5 synthetic oil and the amount of engine protecting additives are vastly different. Just because it says synthetic on the bottle and the weight you want doesnt mean you should pour it into your engine and use it if you want the best protection.
Are you trying to say that the 5-quart bottle of Mobil1 5W-30 that I get at Walmart doesn't contain the same product as the 5-quart bottle of Mobil1 5W-30 that I get at AutoZone or Advance Auto? If so, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that.

I agree that using good quality oil is important, however I fail to see the difference between the Mobil1, Shell Rotella, Pennzoil or Quaker State available at Wally-World and the same brands available at AutoZone or Advance Auto. Wally-World is about 10 bucks cheaper per 5-quart bottle than the auto chain stores on the brand name synthetics. The only thing that I can't get at Wally-World is Royal Purple and some of the other exotic brands.

If you want to spend 2 bucks more per quart of oil just to avoid buying it at Walmart, that's your choice. I'll keep buying it there, though, unless someone can demonstrate that the oil in the Mobil1/Pennzoil/QS bottles at Walmart is different and inferior to the oil in the Mobil1/Pennzoil/QS bottles at every other store.

Having said that, if Walmart introduced a "Great Value" line of motor oil, I'd certainly avoid it.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chrysler blows off warranty work regardless of ammo.

I'm sure they fired the guy who said "let's do an unlimited mile warranty on the drivetrain"

Then hired the guy who said "let's find any and every loop hole to deny the warranty!"

F Chrysler. If my motor goes ill go through insurance. ATK makes a drop in 3.8 replacement.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drumnatural
Chrysler blows off warranty work regardless of ammo.

I'm sure they fired the guy who said "let's do an unlimited mile warranty on the drivetrain"

Then hired the guy who said "let's find any and every loop hole to deny the warranty!"

F Chrysler. If my motor goes ill go through insurance. ATK makes a drop in 3.8 replacement.
I don't disagree. But it's all about "leverage" IMO, and I want more than Chrysler. And yes, I'll drag an attorney into if I have to because I hate to lose.

Not that I expect a problem -- the dealer that I go to has always been good to me and usually goes out of their way to keep me happy (unless the request is completely unreasonable). Their service guys, OTOH, are the type you describe above.

Last edited by Gort; 10-18-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gort

Are you trying to say that the 5-quart bottle of Mobil1 5W-30 that I get at Walmart doesn't contain the same product as the 5-quart bottle of Mobil1 5W-30 that I get at AutoZone or Advance Auto? If so, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that.

I agree that using good quality oil is important, however I fail to see the difference between the Mobil1, Shell Rotella, Pennzoil or Quaker State available at Wally-World and the same brands available at AutoZone or Advance Auto. Wally-World is about 10 bucks cheaper per 5-quart bottle than the auto chain stores on the brand name synthetics. The only thing that I can't get at Wally-World is Royal Purple and some of the other exotic brands.

If you want to spend 2 bucks more per quart of oil just to avoid buying it at Walmart, that's your choice. I'll keep buying it there, though, unless someone can demonstrate that the oil in the Mobil1/Pennzoil/QS bottles at Walmart is different and inferior to the oil in the Mobil1/Pennzoil/QS bottles at every other store.

Having said that, if Walmart introduced a "Great Value" line of motor oil, I'd certainly avoid it.
I disagree. MANY companies dilute their great products to meet walmarts demands for lowest prices. Last time I was in there I noticed the Mobil 1 bottles had a Walmart logo on them. That raised a big red flag to me. Gort you have to understand that the term synthetic is a very lose term just like "all natural" and that many people in the know realize that even regular Mobil 1 questionably calls itself full synthetic. I'm no expert, I've just read enough of the forums on bob is the oil guy to be leery of Wally world. I really wish the parts stores around here would start carrying 5w20 jugs though.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

We did an experiment with oil in my power plant class this past spring, we took each oil Mobil 1, penzoil, Castro oil, amzoil and a few others from 5w 20 to 30weight also synthetic and put each of them on a burner to test Viscosity and how well the oil held up to high heat over 200 f the two that stood out was Castro and Mobil 1 both regular and synthetic did very well. The others broke down very fast and was more like cooking oil very runny no viscosity left to them. I believe I got my Castro from wal mart.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really can't believe that Walmart or Mobil 1 would risk their reputation by selling sub-standard different oil in Mobil 1 containers. Come on!
Originally Posted by Flip94ta
I disagree. MANY companies dilute their great products to meet walmarts demands for lowest prices. Last time I was in there I noticed the Mobil 1 bottles had a Walmart logo on them. That raised a big red flag to me. Gort you have to understand that the term synthetic is a very lose term just like "all natural" and that many people in the know realize that even regular Mobil 1 questionably calls itself full synthetic. I'm no expert, I've just read enough of the forums on bob is the oil guy to be leery of Wally world. I really wish the parts stores around here would start carrying 5w20 jugs though.

Quick Reply: synthetic oil thoughts