Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Synthetic Oil questions

Old 02-02-2009, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeluxeJK
is it weird that my 09 unlimited X is telling me i need an oil change at 2600 miles?
My 08 Rubicon asked for it's first oil change at 3900 miles. I think from what I've seen on the forums that the first oil change is often at < 5000.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrpmtork
SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline-fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Replace AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter at the time of oil change, up to 25,000 miles or one year service life, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).
Is there any real differnce, other than marketing, between Amsoil, RP, Castrol Synthetic or Mobile 1. I mean a solid legit reason to use one over the other.

And no there isn't a snowballs chance in hell I'm running the same oil longer than 6k. Cost isn't a factor either. The JK isn't a DD and is pretty much for wheeling only so a couple of oil changes a year areno big deal.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck45
Is there any real differnce, other than marketing, between Amsoil, RP, Castrol Synthetic or Mobile 1. I mean a solid legit reason to use one over the other.

And no there isn't a snowballs chance in hell I'm running the same oil longer than 6k. Cost isn't a factor either. The JK isn't a DD and is pretty much for wheeling only so a couple of oil changes a year areno big deal.

I have seen one independent test on gear oil and between Amsoil, Mobil 1, Syntec, and GM synthetic there was minimal difference but Amsoil was the best with Mobil 1 a close second and GM and Syntec fairly close third. After that there was notable differences in other synthetics tested to the point that Mopar, Lucas and Royal Purple synthetics did not do as well as Castrol, Pennzoil or Valvoline non-synthetics.

I would assume that the companies would have about the same quality in their engine oils.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

Too much info to post, so you'll have to go to the link. But, here is some comparative testing.

HTH,

Bret

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil questions