Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

synthetic oil - anyone using?

Old 06-02-2007, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic oil - anyone using?

Does anyone have recommendations about this...is it worth it?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't notice anything different. The main thing it helps with is if you don't change yur oil regularly.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
You won't notice anything different. The main thing it helps with is if you don't change yur oil regularly.
Gotta disagree with you on this one. I have used synthetic oil in varoius street/race cars and motorcycles and it always has resulted in less heat generated, quicker revving and less power drop at higher RPM.
Dirty oil is dirty oil. I wouldn't extend the change interval just because it is synthetic.

To answer the original question; I don't think the added expense of synthetic is worth it on the Jeep unless you do a lot of crawling. Spend the money on a few extra oil changes. Of course this is JMO.

Last edited by Old_School; 06-02-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

dirty oil is bad but viscosity break down is a larger problem that is where synthetic oils rule and provide longevity
Old 06-02-2007, 09:00 PM
JK Freak

i like synthetic oil - i think if you used it for 100,000 miles your engine would be in better condition -
Old 06-02-2007, 09:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Old_School
Gotta disagree with you on this one. I have used synthetic oil in varoius street/race cars and motorcycles and it always has resulted in less heat generated, quicker revving and less power drop at higher RPM.
Dirty oil is dirty oil. I wouldn't extend the change interval just because it is synthetic.

To answer the original question; I don't think the added expense of synthetic is worth it on the Jeep unless you do a lot of crawling. Spend the money on a few extra oil changes. Of course this is JMO.
Do you know this because of a dino or is it your opinion. I totally disagree. I've used synthetic and have noticed nothing. For me synthetic is about as worthless as a CAI and catback exhaust.

Last edited by IGOFSHN; 06-02-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

cold air intakes, and cat backs have been proven to make power gains on the jk... where are you getting your facts from?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
Do you know this because of a dino or is it your opinion. I totally disagree. I've used synthetic and have noticed nothing. For me synthetic is about as worthless as a CAI and catback exhaust.
I noticed a difference rite away............synthetic has been proven to be better for your engine
Old 06-03-2007, 02:55 AM
JK Freak

I started running Mobil 1 several vehicles ago and will continue to use it. The first thing I noticed was that my oil pressure gauge immediatley rose to full pressure upon starting instead of the slower rise with crude oil. I took two plastic bottles (small ones) filled each about half full. One with a popular crude oil and one with some Mobil 1 and stuck them in the freezer for a couple days. I took them out, flipped them upside down and the crude was like molasses. The Mobil ran to the bottom almost immediatley. Tells me I'll get better lube faster on cold starts, which I'm told is where a lot of wear occurs. I also heard of another test one can do which is take a hot frying pan(don't know how hot, might cause a fire!!) and try pouring each one in the pan. I've heard the crude will flow away from the middle of the pan to the sides(trying to get away from the heat) while synthetic will pool up in the middle. Wife wouldnt let me try this test!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Guys I appreciate the information. This is my first jeep and I was considering it. with lifts and large tire and other mods - is it even likely to expect much more than 100k on the 3.8l...

Quick Reply: synthetic oil - anyone using?