Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Synthetic Oil

Old 04-06-2008, 04:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of those subject that is fairly redundant for one main reason. People are looking for a big difference between the two. The fact is, there is not a very big difference. It is simply a choice of quality.

Fact: The great majority of high end vehicles are using synthetic oil. And "recommend" continued use.

Fact: Synthetic meets the same SEA standards as the conventional counterpart and exceeds them.

Fact: Conventional oil will brake down its protective qualities sooner than synthetic.

Fiction: Synthetic is so much better that it won't allow the engine to properly break in. Again reverting back to the vast majority of engine manufacturers converting to synthetic. Even motorcycle builders are converting to using full synthetic.

Here's a little story that most of you don't want to hear. I bought a 1995 Nissan pickup which I changed its oil at 500 miles with synthetic and continued to change it with synthetic until I got rid of it at 65000 miles. I also switched fuels continuously because it would develop a rattle if I only used regular fuel, so I had to put in a higher grade on occasion to take away the rattle for another thousand or so miles. I also put slick50 in the engine twice before saying goodbye.
Well, the funny thing is more than 10 yrs later a co-worker just so happens to be driving that same truck. He has well over 200.000 miles on it and he says that he has NEVER had a problem with it since he bought it. Well other than the clutch he replaced. He says that he changes the oil with conventional and has ever since he bought it. He says that he too had to change fuels because of the rattle to this day.
Poor guy doesn't know that I totally RAGGED on that vehicle. I used to rev that engine so high, and drop the clutch to peal out. Man, I abused the crap out of that thing. But I always kept the engine clean and lubed.
If using synthetic could ever be harmful... Man, I'm sure fooled. Especially since I've used it on all my vehicle except this one (because oil's an arm and a leg now). Which consists of 20 vehicles. Not including motorcycles.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 synthetic

I run quaker state 4x4 synthetic oil and have had no problems

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil