Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Synthetic Oil

Old 02-12-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Purple!!!!!

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Ok guys, I know this has probably been posted here before but I知 new so I値l ask the question anyway. I just purchased a 2008 Wrangler unlimited X and was thinking about running synthetic Oil (Mobil1). Is it safe to do so or should I break it in with non synthetic first?
I personally love Royal purple and have changed almost all of my fluids out with it. I agree with everyone else that there is no magic answer as to when to change it. I dont see any problem though in breaking in the engine with the Mobil1 (which is from the factory) and then replacing with some other synthetic.

Good Luck!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Any confirmation/proof on this? I thought they used a synthetic blend for the JK not full synthetic.
I would swear I saw somewhere that it is Mobil1...can't say 100% though
Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by CSchaible
I would swear I saw somewhere that it is Mobil1...can't say 100% though

The only reason I say that is if it came with mobile synth from the factory, people would not be "switching" to synthetic, that is what would be recommended/required to use.

I did one oil change myself, and I seem to remember buying the synth blend per the recommendation in the owners manual. I don't have it handy though to check.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use the search feature
and stop the oil madness
please
Old 02-12-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

I was told by Crappler and the sevice dept at the dealer that they come with semi-syn and that's also what the service dept uses. Overall, Crappler Corp is still in denial about synthetic oil being inherently better than dino oil.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Agreed...

Originally Posted by naplesrubicon
use the search feature
and stop the oil madness
please
Royal Purple is better than any other anyway!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

just checked on this and synthetic blend 5w-20 is what you get from the factory. has anyone been able to find mobile 1 synblend in 5w-20? i had to use castrol blend cuz none of the parts stores around here carry the mobil 1
Old 04-05-2008, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deanthemachine04
just checked on this and synthetic blend 5w-20 is what you get from the factory. has anyone been able to find mobile 1 synblend in 5w-20? i had to use castrol blend cuz none of the parts stores around here carry the mobil 1
WHERE/HOW did you just check on this????????
Old 04-05-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

My son in law is a parts manager at a Jeep dealership. He checked with the service department and they come with a semi-synthetic from the factory. It is not made my Mobil 1.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
... I just purchased a 2008 Wrangler unlimited X and was thinking about running synthetic Oil (Mobil1). Is it safe to do so or should I break it in with non synthetic first?
My opinion on this: I've been running synthetic in my vehicles for the last 30 years. And I always wait until I have 5-6,000 miles to switch. I also always do an oil change at 500 miles. In the past, that was always the grungiest, dirtiest, blackest oil I'd ever remove from that vehicle. Not so with the JK. It was still quite clean looking oil. What does that mean? Some folks say it's because modern engines are delivered from the factory built to tighter tolerances than in the past, therefore the vehicle is basically broken in at delivery to the owner. They conclude that first oil change is unnecessary. I'm almost convinced about that last statement, except I still like the idea of flushing out any detritus left over from the manufacturing process early on, so I'll still do that 500 mile, conventional oil change.

Once you put synthetic in friction will dramatically drop. A friend of mine, who rebuilds Trans Ams as a hobby, rebuilt his wife's Olds after running Mobil 1 for 100K miles. He was curious about the effectiveness of the Mobil 1, so mic'd all of the parts. And was surprised that the vehicle showed extremely low wear; most parts were within factory new tolerance. After reassembling the engine, and putting in conventional oil, the engine would not break in. He checked around some and found other rebuilders who'd had a similar experience. Their conclusion was that the synthetic oil somehow gets into the walls of the parts and reduces friction even after it's drained out. Eventually he did get the Olds broken in, but it was much more difficult than it should have been.

Finally, search around here on JK-Forum and you'll find plenty of folks--perhaps even a vast majority, myself included, who claim that the performance on their JK increased dramatically after a couple to perhaps five thousand miles. I don't know that a poll has been conducted on this, but even a brief search should corroborate that to you.

Now, your question: Synthetic at first oil change. If you're waiting to 3K or 6K miles (depending on which chart you're following, you should be okay. If you change earlier, I'd recommend using conventional. Primary reason: Why risk losing the opportunity to get that increased performance that so many folks attest to here on JK-Forum? Running conventional for 3-6K won't hurt your vehicle (indeed, it's factory recommended).

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil