Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Synthetic Oil

Old 02-11-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil

Ok guys, I know this has probably been posted here before but I知 new so I値l ask the question anyway. I just purchased a 2008 Wrangler unlimited X and was thinking about running synthetic Oil (Mobil1). Is it safe to do so or should I break it in with non synthetic first?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no magic answer here. You're likely to get a plethora of opinions about synthetic versus standard oil. Synthetic does have the advantage of lasting longer between changes and it's viscosity tends to give just a little bit better fuel mileage. But just a little.

As for when to change out, again there's no magic answer. I'm going to run synthetic in my Wrangler but I won't put it in until the first oil change. But that's just me.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

As far as I know they come iwth mobile one from the factory
Old 02-11-2008, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

There is soo much information about this on the net. I tried to read alot of it, but its gets really technical. Here is bascially what I got from reading through the plethora of information out there.

If you change every 3K miles, dino is just fine (oil standards today make the regualr stuff good quality). If you want to extend your service intervals, get a good quality grade 4 or higher (AmSoil, Royal Purple, etc). Should also being doing an oil analysis if you extend the mileage too.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red rcok

Now their's something I did'nt know before (Wrangler's have synthetic from the factory). That's good to know, it's about time Jeep did something right.

However I was going to switch over to Amsoil Synthetic at my first oil change anyway.

Last edited by boots; 02-11-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Ok guys, I know this has probably been posted here before but I知 new so I値l ask the question anyway. I just purchased a 2008 Wrangler unlimited X and was thinking about running synthetic Oil (Mobil1). Is it safe to do so or should I break it in with non synthetic first?
I would recommmend that you let the engine break in till about 1500 miles. The engine begins to open up and release more power during the break in period. Then if you want put in synthetic to stop the wear and tear. mobile 1 does run alittle thinner and will burn off easier but thats only small amounts.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From one winnipeger to another, I made the switch to synthetic at about 10,000 kms. and it has been great. I on another post mentioned it has been great for cold starts. I do mine every 5000kms. I don't know if you do your own oil changes but for a synthetic change at Waverley it was $119.00 but at your local quick lube places it runs around $70.00. Just be sure its warrenty approved. Don't forget to wave!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greystn JK
From one winnipeger to another, I made the switch to synthetic at about 10,000 kms. and it has been great. I on another post mentioned it has been great for cold starts. I do mine every 5000kms. I don't know if you do your own oil changes but for a synthetic change at Waverley it was $119.00 but at your local quick lube places it runs around $70.00. Just be sure its warrenty approved. Don't forget to wave!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey nice to see a Winnipeger on the forum! Is it true the engines are fed Mobile1 from the factory? I purchase my sythetic oil from Part source and bring it in to the dealer to change. Its much cheaper that way. $70
Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by pezeveng319
I would recommmend that you let the engine break in till about 1500 miles. The engine begins to open up and release more power during the break in period. Then if you want put in synthetic to stop the wear and tear. mobile 1 does run alittle thinner and will burn off easier but thats only small amounts.
LOL

It comes with Mobil1 from the factory.

And Mobil1 doesn't run a little thinner, or burn off as easily....its the correct viscosity range for the temperature and load conditions...modern chemistry...and regular oil burns off more easily, called coking....so, ...

To summarize:

There's zero point in not using Mobil1 because its thinner, because it isn't thinner than dino juice.

There's zero point in thinking it will burn off, because it won't burn faster than dino juice.

There's zero point in waiting to fill the engine with it, as the factory ALREADY filled the engine with it.

Other than that....great advice.

The things that trick people:

.... is that the oil flows even when cold, because it can handle a wider range

...Until the OEM factory engine tolerances were tight enough (Like a blue printed ported polished engine of yore, etc...), they HAD to use dino juice to break in the engines...

OEM's WANTED to used synthetic oil from the factory...it adds a mpg or 2 to their window sticker/CAFE compliance, etc.

They could not do it though, until the engines were made essentially "Pre-broken in"....which alot, but not all, of them are.

BMW, Corvette, Mini, Jeep, and a host of others, have some of the engines that CAN take synthetic as factory fill, get the extra mpg and horsepressure, etc....and life is good.

So - we luck out - our mini van engines are able to take Mobil1 from the get go.

Last edited by TEEJ; 02-11-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:13 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by red rcok
Any confirmation/proof on this? I thought they used a synthetic blend for the JK not full synthetic.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil