Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Synthetic motor oil or petrolium based???

Old 02-25-2012, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic motor oil or petrolium based???

We all know synthetic is best. But is it worth it? Can you go much longer between changes? Are there any actual tear down results that can prove the claims. What brand is best? Are there any chemical engineers out there that know the truth. I'm so tired of false and exagerated claims. I just want the best for my Jeep. Any facts out there that can answer these questions would greatly be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy12jk
We all know synthetic is best. But is it worth it? Can you go much longer between changes? Are there any actual tear down results that can prove the claims. What brand is best? Are there any chemical engineers out there that know the truth. I'm so tired of false and exagerated claims. I just want the best for my Jeep. Any facts out there that can answer these questions would greatly be appreciated.
I'll bite. (And I am a chemist, but not a tribologist.)

Any quality brand name oil, in the appropriate weight range, changed at an appropriate interval, is good for your engine.

Now- all three of those statements is open to interpretation.

I'd go over and do some reading on BITOG. It's not jeep-centric but you'll get an oil-education.......
Old 02-25-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

How long are you planning to keep your Jeep? I have 177K on my 1991, never been torn down and never will. When it meets its maker it will go straight to the bone yard.

I ran dino for 120k miles... then switched to synthetic high mileage to prolong the inevitable.

Recently, just for a test, I used the same dino oil I used the first 120K.. I noticed the lifters were making a lot of noise when cold, which tells me it may have an oil pump or vascular condition..

I removed the dino and replaced with Mobil 1 High Mileage... its purring again, but I can see life is short.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Guess I can't give any facts, but a very reputable shop owner in my town did a compairison between regular and fully synthetic in two early 2000 year suburbans over 5 years. One was a customers and one was his. They were identicle except for color. Heads were removed on both vehicles (at the cost of the shop) after three years and the "top-end/valve train" showed no noticeable difference in wear and tear or build-up. Oil pan was also removed, same results. The only difference he noticed was that the cost of his oil changes were a lot more than the customers. Needless to say he does not use synthetic oil in any of his personal or buisness vehicles.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I have had my jeep for 4 1/2 years 157,000k about 33 oil changes in that time. Allot of changes for 4 1/2 years. what 20$ diff in changes 700$ in savings and I notice no difference in mine and my buddies who uses synthetic.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

"synthetic is best" is usually a statement made by folks overly influenced by advertising and following the crowd. . . It has it's place, but not always the best option for every engine in every situation. Like was suggested above, head over to Bob Is The Oil Guy and start learning. lots to read there, tons of knowledge to be had! A few days there and you should be able to make a well informed decision about the oil you want to run. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Synthetic motor oil or petrolium based???