Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: What Kind of Engine Oil do You Use for your V6 JK?
Synthetic
71.62%
Dino
24.32%
Indifferent
4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Synthetic Lubricants VS dino

Old 04-09-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Your standard Dinosaur juice with 3000mile intervals. They made the jeep... I'll do what they want me to
And that is how DC will get you back to the garage to fix it after it breaks!

Mobil-1 Synthetic every 4500...I split the difference!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whpony96
And that is how DC will get you back to the garage to fix it after it breaks!

Mobil-1 Synthetic every 4500...I split the difference!

Ahh, but with a lifetime warranty on the line... I'll do what they say...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Ahh, but with a lifetime warranty on the line... I'll do what they say...
Great point, I'm at 3030 miles right now... maybe I should consider my first oil change, and a tire rotation while I'm at it.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard that switching to synthetic too early will stop the normal "break in" period on your engine. Since the synthetic coats all your internal components to prevent friction it wont allow your engine to break-in properly.
I plan on using Mobil 1 but I'm waiting until, at least, the 1st (6000mile) recommended service.
My 2 cents...
Tony
Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 PM
JK Super Freak

UGGH...ANOTHER oil thread??? Oh well, as I have stated a bajillion times before:

1. Mobil 1 5W20 OR Royal Purple (with Synerlec) 5W20
2. K&N HP-1002 Oil Filter
3. Interval: RELIGIOUSLY every 3000 miles (OR 4828.032 kilometers for our JK brethren north of da' border).

My $0.02, thankee.

Russ D.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by UCLA JK Rida'
3. Interval: RELIGIOUSLY every 3000 miles (OR 4828.032 kilometers for our JK brethren north of da' border).
Old 04-10-2008, 03:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cappi's JKR
I've heard that switching to synthetic too early will stop the normal "break in" period on your engine. Since the synthetic coats all your internal components to prevent friction it wont allow your engine to break-in properly.
I plan on using Mobil 1 but I'm waiting until, at least, the 1st (6000mile) recommended service.
My 2 cents...
Tony
Myths
People have a lot to say about synthetic oils. Unfortunately, it’s not always accurate. But ExxonMobil is here to clear things up. Read below to get the truth behind some of the most common misconceptions about synthetic oils and your vehicle.

Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to a synthetic oil.
Reality:
You can start using synthetic in new vehicles at any time, even in brand new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

Acura RDX

Aston Martin

All Bentley Vehicles

All Cadillac Vehicles

Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06

Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS

Chrysler 300C SRT-8

Cobalt SS S/C Coupe

Dodge Caliber SRT-4, Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8

Jeep Cherokee SRT-8

Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles

Mercedes SLR

Mitsubishi Evolution

Pontiac Solstice GXP

All Porsche Vehicles

Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line

Viper SRT-10

One of the myths surrounding synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

If it's good enough for these vehicles, it's good enough for my JK.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Myths
People have a lot to say about synthetic oils. Unfortunately, it’s not always accurate. But ExxonMobil is here to clear things up. Read below to get the truth behind some of the most common misconceptions about synthetic oils and your vehicle.

Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to a synthetic oil.
Reality:
You can start using synthetic in new vehicles at any time, even in brand new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

Acura RDX

Aston Martin

All Bentley Vehicles

All Cadillac Vehicles

Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06

Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS

Chrysler 300C SRT-8

Cobalt SS S/C Coupe

Dodge Caliber SRT-4, Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8

Jeep Cherokee SRT-8

Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles

Mercedes SLR

Mitsubishi Evolution

Pontiac Solstice GXP

All Porsche Vehicles

Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line

Viper SRT-10

One of the myths surrounding synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

If it's good enough for these vehicles, it's good enough for my JK.

Thats why I started with "I heard"....lol I never really figuered it to be 100% true but, I was thinking along the lines of...better to be safe than sorry.
Im looking forward to switching oils. and after reading that, I may do it sooner.
Thx for the good info
Tony
Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised most run synthetic. I always kind of thought synthetic oil was kind of along the same line as health foods, like sugar free, fat free etc. More people die from "being in good health" than any other cause of death. I have a motorcycle that went 165,000 miles on conventional oil, I'll just stick with what I trust. Guys on the motorcycle newsgroups always complain of recurring oil leaks after switching to synthetic also. Is this just another myth?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

First off, Read the Mobil 1 container. If the Dealer wont back the warranty due to oil then they you need to slap them and find a different dealer. Mobil 1 has written guarantees with Mopar(Chrysler).
RonKZ. It is true about oil leaks. Whereas Dino will gum up and possibly stop a leak, Syn will find the leak and exit abruptly! This may be good or bad depending on your perspective.
On my scooters, I run Syn and will notice immediately if a leak starts. I run Syn in many cars, bikes and misc other motors and they run better and last longer.
I run it for 5k and change it. Old habits......

Quick Reply: Synthetic Lubricants VS dino